Monday 26 September 2011

The Perfect Modern Country Autumn Wreath


It's Autumn. 
Hooray!

All this week and next, 
I'll be posting ways of autumnifying your life: 
from the perfect Modern Country wreath, 
to choosing the best fall outfits, 
and everything in between.

I'm hoping to give you lots of ideas 
of the kind of thing you can link up 
on Wednesday 5th October at my 
Modern Country Style: Fall In Love
link party.


What better way to start of any Autumn extravaganza 
than making a gorgeous wreath!?
{And this one won't cost you a penny.}

Sounds good already, right?

I love the idea of creating a wreath from bits and pieces I find in our garden. It's such a lovely country feeling to be plucking a bit of this and a piece of this, all the while building up a vision of what I want my end product to look like.

Here's what you'll need to make 
your perfect Modern Country wreath:


a wreath base of some kind
{click here to see my tutorial of how to make one from scratch}

some pva glue

branches for greenery

branches with berries

anything else that catches your eye

a piece of ribbon

some secateurs


Here's what to do:

Starting with your wreath base and greenery, 
cut off a small length at a time (10cm/3inches or so).
Dip the end into the glue.


Slot into the wreath base. 


Try to push in all twigs either clockwise or anti-clockwise to give the neatest finish.


Continue until the whole base is more or less covered. This doesn't have to be super neat, its purpose is to cover up the colour of the base, and will mostly be smothered by the top layer.


Then start to build up the next layer, using your berried twigs, with the same gluing and slotting in technique. 

With this layer, it does matter what the finish looks like so ensure all twigs are lying flattish against the layer below.


If you spot a hole in the wreath, then choose a bushy twig and slot the end in to the base.

Don't slot the end into where the actual gap is, as the leaves will end up in the section above the gap. Instead, slot the twig end into the portion just below the bare patch. This will ensure that the patch will get covered in just the right place.

Once this layer is complete, then you can, of course, add any extras.

But I rather like my autumn wreaths simple and stylish.
I find the simplicity is what marks them out as 
a more Modern version of the 
 traditional Country wreath.


Keep standing back from the wreath to make certain that you're building up a good, even circular shape. It's easy to become so engrossed in the gluing and pushing in that you end up with an awkward shape at the end. 


When you're pleased with the look, 
wrap a 40cm/16imch length of ribbon around the wreath.  
Tie a knot about 15cm up, and then hang wherever your heart desires.


I'll be revealing all on Wednesday....





I'm linking ot my favourite parties in my sidebar!

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





48 comments :

Young Adventures... said...

Very pretty Sarah! I love those red berries.

Deborah said...

Oooh Sarah this is so pretty!
Love it and the ribbon completes it!
I cant wait to see autumn through your eyes!
Have a great day sweetie!!!

Deborah xoxoxo

MGB said...

Pretty Wreath!

Moniquex

Brandi said...

This is beautiful, Sarah!!!!! I love it.

Unknown said...

So pretty! I ALMOST have a front doorway to put this. Almost. Like they said the house would be done two weeks ago, almost. sigh.

ANNE said...

G O R G E O U S! I haven't made a wreath in forever, thanks for inspiring me!!

lisaroy said...

So pretty! I don't think I've ever had such nice greenery to pluck from my garden :)

Doda said...

lush! Nice greenery!

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

I do like the greenery and red berries combo. YOu can't beat it in my opinion (not even with plastic bags from the supermarket - I'm referring to my plastic bag wreath in case you wonder what I'm burbling on about now). xx

michelle said...

It looks beautiful dear! I just adore your wreaths, you are so talented.
xoxo

Lorrie said...

Lovely wreath. The red berries are so pretty.

michele said...

beautiful images and simple steps presented so effortlessly, sarah.

i don't do much autumn decorating, but i do add candles, pumpkins, and sweet smells from the oven!

have a wonderful week.

michele

Meera @ firstsense said...

Ooh that's lovely! Your tutorials are fab, so encouraging and you make it look so easy :-)

I would love to try this if I had such lovely branches in my back yard.

Happy new week, sweetie.

Meera xx


P.S. - So glad you received the card ok and that you love its intriguing design!

HALLELUJAHS BY HOLLY said...

Sarah, I love this! I have some wreath making to do this week too, and this serves as some great inspiration.

Loving your blog as always!
Blessings,
Holly
http://hallelujahsbyholly.blogspot.com

It's me said...

What a great wreath !!! i really like it.......love from me...happy week !!...xxx..

fen and ned said...

That's a mighty fine looking wreath! Autumn is my favourite season, I look forward to the Wednesday reveal!
Thanks for the word 'Autumnifying' I'll be trying to use it often, in or out of context I'm not fussy, it's a top word!:)xx

chris said...

You have an eye for beauty, Sarah. I love that you made this with items from your garden.

Susan T said...

Gorgeous Sarah, I will have a bash.

You have just been awarded The Versatile Bloggers Award. YOU deserve it and I really enjoy your blog. You can find out more by going to my blog. xx

loveandlilac said...

That is so my style! I'm planning some autumn this weekend so I'm counting on you for inspiration Sarah :-)

loveandlilac said...

... some autumn decorating that is!

Natasha in Oz said...

You are indeed the Queen of wreaths! I just wish it was Autumn over here so I could make one and know it wouldn't die in the hot Aussie summer sun!

Hope you have a wonderful week!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

High Street Cottage said...

It's gorgeous Sarah, and such pretty ribbon. I have not made a wreath in a long while but used to make them all the times for myself, friends and family. Lately my front door has been adorned with a pretty metal flower holder and some plaid ribbon. Wonderful idea for a fresh look for fall, your blog just gets better and better young lady!

At The Picket Fence said...

Absolutely beautiful my dear! Love it! :-)
Vanessa

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

Beautiful wreath from a beautiful blogger. So pretty Sarah, or should I say, Miss Talented!

Anna at the Doll House said...

It is gorgeous Sarah: classic, stylish and country all in one go. Thanks also for your clear and easy-to follow instructions.

Anna

bj said...

Just beautiful..if only I had greenery and berries in my garden...heavy sigh.

Ricki Treleaven said...

Very pretty wreath, Sarah. Thanks so much for the tutorial! :D

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love your wreath! It's just right and perfectly simple!

LindyLouMac said...

A great online lesson but I am still not ready to accept Autumn!

Almost Precious said...

The wreath looks beautiful, can not imagine how gorgeous it will look in its reveal. I really like the fact that you're keeping it simple as too much frou-frou can become distracting. The simple red berries against the lush green foliage looks very country and very homespun. Love it!

Tricia said...

Super pretty! You always have a talent for making things look so nice :)

Lola said...

what a nice blog with beautiful pictures :) i really like it!

love, lola

Stacy CUrran said...

You should be very proud of this...it is stunning!
Stacy

Cindy said...

What a great looking wreathe! I love it.
Hugs, Cindy

The Beginner Housewife said...

Absolutely wonderful!!! I love this! I always try and make a beautiful wreath and FAIL! These directions were perfect!!!

PS - I love that you say NO LURKING on your comment love, that's too cute!

Roeshel said...

It's gorgeous! I love using natural elements from the yard and garden too. Love this! :) Can't wait to see where it's going!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello there dear dear Sarah!

Your wreath is absolutely charming and how I would love to be able to make something so homemade, natural and beautiful. I see you are from the Cotswolds? What a great place to live my dear. My home is very similar to the cottages that are found there....brick, timber and adorned with lovely gardens. Thank you for your wonderful comments, and if I am ever in the Cotswolds, I shall visit you!!!! Love to you, Anita

Calypso In The Country said...

Wow Sarah - you are very talented! I love how it turned out! And thank you for your very sweet comment on my dining room shelves!
Take care, Shelley

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

So lovely and fun.

Fondly,
Glenda

Elaine said...

Simply beautiful!

Anonymous said...

That's really lovely and with the gingham ribbon it looks so traditional :-) Me and my mum always used to make wreaths except it's more of a Christmas thing over here. I used to love making huge ones and hiding a realistic robin somewhere in-between the leaves!
Well done x

Maria said...

Ah cotoneaster is so pretty but alas classified as a weed where I live so a big no no. I live in Australia so I could always use a lillypilly. It has purple berries! I do love the wreath!

Duni said...

Ooh, I love this one, Sarah! I've always loved simple styles, plus green and red are one of my favourite decorating colours this season! Great job!

have a lovely day,
Duni

p.s thanks for the follow ♥
I hope to reach 500 one of these days, and then I'll have a giveaway:)

Le said...

just lovely you wee crafty lass :) le xox

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Lovely! Makes me want to give it a go!

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

What a beautiful wreath. I think I may have to try to make one...it will be my first. You make it look so easy. I love visiting here to see all of your projects. Cannot wait for the link party.

Elizabeth

Travel With Lulu said...

I love this idea! I have an empty wreath frame & I'd love to do this with my daughter. So easy & so beautiful! XOL

Unknown said...

Totally behind on my blog reading but this is just SO SWEET and you make it look too easy.

Wish I had such prettiness growing in my own garden xxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10