Wednesday 23 November 2011

The Holiday Houses: Living Rooms


We've been having a nose round both The Holiday houses: Rosehill Cottage and Amanda's American Modern home. 
Have you missed out on any of the other posts?


The two homes are an incredible contrast: one is the essence of English cottage style and the other seems to be the epitome of spacious, calm American Modern.


Both are utterly gorgeous, to be sure. Modern and Country: both span what I love, as Modern Country is my favourite, don't you know. ;-)


Let's take another snizz at The Holiday houses, shall we?
The living rooms in each could not be more different.


The Holiday Cottage is a pretty good size compared to the rest of Iris' home, though, of course, it fades into insignificance compared to the American house - can you say 'It's gimongous'?


 Woooooah! It's huuuuuuuge! 

But here's a secret: 
I find it hard not to imagine all American houses like this! 
Yes, it's true. *blush* 


I was talking to an American about how I naively think of all Americans living on ranches. She completely and adamantly denied it...but on further quizzing from me, it turned out SHE lived on a 50-acre ranch! So my utterly unfounded stereotype remains unchanged!


But, anyway, back to the case in point. I can't believe how much space Amanda has. Acres and acres of roomage. 


I love the spacious airiness of Amanda's home but if I had to plump for one, this time it would be Iris' Cottage. I love the softness of the room. Much more of a 'kick-off-your-heels-and-slop-around-on-the-sofa' room, which suits me down to the ground.


And don't get me started on the Rosehill Cottage fireplace. I love it!

I know woodburners are all the rage, and they are, it's true, a zillion times more effiecient than alternatives, yet, still, I cannot resist the primeval lure of the open fire.


The only thing I might have done very differently is this odd extra sofa in the back corner. I would have thought that being so short on space, it would be more usefully employed as a study area. 


But, minor niggles aside, this is one room that wins hands down for me.
What about you?
Are you Modern or Country? 
Or, like me, a liberating dash of both?
Because that's Modern Country Style all over.

Let's take a last look on Friday at how how YOU can get the look! 
Combining both houses to get my perfect house......

Can it be done?
Come back and see!

One more thing before I go.....The winner of the Finishing Touch Interiors Silver bowl and servers giveaway is....


I'll be with you in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





24 comments :

Blondie's Journal said...

Cozy English Cottage all the way. This home appeals to me in so many ways! Size doesn't matter in this case!

XO,
Jane

Betty said...

Oh, I love the little sofa under the window....right next to the bookcase, a perfect sunny place to cozy up with a good book and a cup of tea. Love Iris's cottage! Thanks for the tour. Warm Hugs,

Karen said...

Well, let me challenge your stereotype: my tiny (old for us - I know you Brits have way older than our 1860's date) cottage fits the "Holiday cottage" mold.

We have less than 1,000 square feet and six people living in it. And we're happy that way. Cottage all the way, baby! :)

Love these posts, by the way. My visit to England & Scotland two years ago was one of the highlights of my life, so far.

LindyLouMac said...

I am enjoying the contrasts,first one gets my vote :)

Lorrie said...

Cozy cottage gets my vote. I love the sofa under the window, just the place for a quiet read, or a tête-à-tête with someone special.

And I absolutely LOVE the blue velvet tufted ottoman. It makes the room!

Cassie Bustamante said...

ok- i am torn..... i prefer the architecture of the cottage, but the textiles of the american home- i don't like all the florals- they are too girly for me! but i also don't like a cold feeling room, which is how the second leaves me feeling... so i think i am somewhere over the atlantic ocean!
and by the way, um, most american houses are small. our old house was 1400 sq feet and that included the finished area of the basement. this house is larger with the two top areas closer to 1800, and then therere is a finished area of the basement as well. but nope- i don't do big houses!

Erin S. said...

I love different things about both--I second that the cottage is a wee bit too floral for me. However, I absolutely adore the fireplace and that ottoman--I would like to rub my face in it (the ottoman, not the fireplace ) :). So I think I would have to pick the cottage--it's just so cozy.

chris said...

Definitely a splash of both! My lovely paint pots arrived today...now just to have some walls to paint!

lisaroy said...

I guess I'm a mixture of both! I love the cozy cottage room but also the simplicity/calmness of the modern one. So if I could choose my fave from each room and meld them together, it would be perfect xo

loveandlilac said...

I'm still deliberating over the bathrooms but cosy cottage wins this one for me. The US room is too bland and over styled.

Magali @ The Little White House said...

Amanda's living-room is too huge for me... What's the point of having to get up from the sofa to drink your cup of tea because the coffee table where it is is too far away??? But there are a few things I don't like also in Iris's living-room...

And Congratulations to Laura, who's a fabulous blogger!

American in Bath said...

Ah, Congrats to Laura. Sorry I've been amiss in my blog reading as much as my blog writing. One of my big plans for the weekend is scrolling back through your blog. So excited.

American in Bath said...

Oh, and I used to live in a 10 x 14 house. That's ten feet by 14 feet. So ummmm. Not all ranches.

Heaven's Walk said...

Rosehill Cottage allllll the way. It's warm. It's cozy. It's welcoming. It just wraps it's arms around you and you can sink right into it all. Yum..... ♥ Thanks for these fun posts, Sarah! I just adore them!!!

xoxo laurie

Sonya Badgley said...

Hi Laura,
Yes, the Rosehill Cottage definitely! The modern is beautiful but I like the relaxed atmosphere better. I agree with the extra couch by that window but I was thinking...what a great place to nap in front of the sunny window! Zzzzz
Happy Thanksgiving to you,
Sonya

Cindy said...

Hi Sarah,
I LOVE the English country house, it's so comfy, cozy looking and I adore the fireplace, that is the kind that I wanted and my son (who runs his own brickee company) is going to reface mine this winter some time.
A small percentage of Americans and Canadians as well, live on huge ranches and a small percentage of Americans (and Canadians) live in large spacious homes. But the majority of the people live in small to mid-size homes on a town or city lot.
Sorry to destroy your vision of North America! When you fly over the USA or Canada, you feel like nobody lives there, there are humongous tracts of land that are just empty.
Have a great day!
Hugs, Cindy

Jill said...

Well you know me I am really a country girl at heart so I am very swayed towards the English Country Cottage look. But guess what although having seen the film twice before I have now ordered the DVD!! all your fault!
Jillx

Unknown said...

I love that tufted ottoman but can imagine the party I could throw in that huge living room.

Travel With Lulu said...

Thank you so much for awarding me in your generous giveaway! Such a great way to kickoff our Thanksgiving weekend! Yea, yea, yea!

I think Amanda's home feels big and lonely for one person. Again, I'm in the Iris camp :) XOL

Privet and Holly said...

I am totally
modern
country.
And I don't live
on a ranch, but
we do have a
three-acre lot,
so maybe we
fall into your U.S.
stereotype?
Loved this series!

xx Suzanne

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Our last two homes have been really small (read - only one bathroom) and I have loved them both. I love small things.

Fondly,
Glenda

A room with a view said...

Ideally I would chose a combination of both but I will have to go with Iris' country living room..the soft furnishings and that gorgeous ottoman balance the wooden beams in the ceiling - it is warm and welcoming. Although Amanda's low couch is very casual and looks comfy there is a need for some color and personality in that space.

Anonymous said...

You crack me up. Still remember our giggle about saddling up the horses to trot the kids off to school. We live in a historical district by the college. Rather an artsy district. Anyway,
I love a good mix of styles. As lovely as both of these rooms are, they lean too far in each direction. The modern living room feels cold. I would have to go with the cottage living room, minus some of the patterns. I need more solids where the eye can rest. The fireplace is gorgeous and just makes the room. I also agree with you on the extra sofa... not needed. Overall, as I ramble here... the cottage style is warm and definitely for me :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx~M

Mike said...

I love how your tuck matches your shirt. Very cute.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10