Wednesday 17 April 2013

Introducing Etsy's best kept secret...Free-Motion-Embroidered Home Pictures

There are so many of you gorgeously talented people out there. It constantly astounds me. Please hear me when I give a big shout-out to you all:

Modern Country Style salutes you!

Let's take a look at one such girlie who, in my opinion, is one of Etsy's best-kept secrets. I'd like to introduce you to Shabby Chic Sarah! Sarah creates free-motion embroideries of homes...THEY ARE INCREDIBLE! {Email Sarah for cost details.}


Sarah is a total whizz at free-motion embroidery and has an amazing eye for transferring the details of an image to collage form. She has - hurrah - agreed to let me interview her about her business. 


Sarah, you know how much I adore your work. Can you tell us a little bit about what you do?
Hi! I take orders for custom free motion embroideries of houses. These make fabulous gifts for new home owners or just a lasting keepsake of your home.

Your pictures are stunning. How do you even begin to put together such amazingness? What is the starting point?

Thank you! I need a clear photo of the front-on view of your house and if you can see it on Google Street View then the address would be good too, as I can sometimes get a better angle on things.

{Ahem...I went mad and sent about five photos!}

 Once I get your photo, I make a sketch, check with you you're happy and then start cutting and sewing, working from your photos and also Google Street View to draw a sketch of your home, picking out all the distinctive details.

How do you choose which fabrics to use?
I ask my customers to let me know any colours they'd like (or dislike) and then I cut fabric pieces to make the basic shape of their home - I use quality fabrics including Cath Kidston; Tilda; Tanya Whelan and vintage.



How do you put these incredible works of art together?
I freehand-embroider the fabric to the background using my machine. The picture is created by using the needle to free hand draw the details on to the fabric. I add smaller details such as the windows, drainpipes and so on and then it is time to add some hand embroidery in the form of flowers, trees and bunting.


What makes your pictures unique to you?

I love to ask customers about any "imaginary touches" they'd like, such as bunting, pretty flowers in planters, etc - it's often these that make a portrait. I can add "fantasy" touches (that are not really there on your real home) - window boxes, wisteria or rambling roses, picket fences and so on - use your imagination!! 


How do you finish the pieces?

I carefully pad and frame the work and it is ready to grace your wall. Frame-wise, the ones I use are plain and come in oak, black, white, and pewter (which looks between silver and gold).


Thank you so much, lovely Sarah...I am over the moon with my home picture and it is hugely admired by everyone who sees it. 


I hope you enjoyed the interview as much as I did! Sarah interpreted my ideas, as well as our home, in such a super-special way (for the record, I asked for muted colours with a bluey-grey background and my make-believe elements included the roses around the door and the bunting) - hasn't she done an awesome job?!. She makes completely unique and utterly lovely keepsakes. If you'd like your very own embroidered picture then you can email Sarah here or contact her via her blog.


Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





8 comments :

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Oh my goodness... that is gorgeous! I have never seen anything like it. And, it's great that she can add "fantasy" items to the outside, because my house could definitely use those :) I'm going to check out her etsy shop... thanks for introducing us!

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Sarah, you are so right there is so much talent on Etsy. And this piece is FABULOUS! I had never heard of this sort of art, I am heading over there to check our her work. Thank you for sharing!

Elizabeth

Tricia said...

Oh my, I love that! She sure is talented.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I know! I know! And it looks even better in really life....one of those items that is really hard to translate with photos because of it's gorgeous quirky charm...

Sarahx

Cindy said...

What a beautiful piece of artwork! I love how she made yours and I am going to go over and see her blog.
Hugs, Cindy

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

This is such a great idea and Sarah seems so talented!

Sharon said...

She made one for one of my friends as a Christmas present - my friend lives in a 300 year old cottage and Sarah captured it perfectly. Can I say it also comes beautifully wrapped up and packaged! She is a very clever girl!

lisaroy said...

LOVE this! So amazing and what a lovely keepsake or gift xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10