Monday 1 November 2010

Book Review: Blogging For Bliss by Tara Frey



It's high time there was another Modern Country book review, don't you agree? ....Today's book in the spotlight is Blogging For Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal by Tara Frey. I was so excited to buy my copy a couple of weeks ago. I've read it cover to cover now so feel I can give you a good overview.

It calls itself 'a guide to crafters, artists, and creatives of all kinds.'

Let's see if the book delivers, beyond the undeniably great graphics....


I've put this on my new Amazon carousel in my sidebar if you want a closer look at more reader reviews or to click through and buy it...

 (which I think I get paid about 2p for!).

Blogging For Bliss is divided into seven chapters. Each of those chapters has a selection of eight or so blogs presented like this:


Each highlighted blog has a general overview as well as a few choice snippets from its author.

It spotlights bloggers such as Alicia Paulson (Posie Gets Cozy), Gabreial Wyatt (Vintage Indie), Emily Martin (Inside A Black Apple), Lidy Baars (Little French Garden House), Heather Bullard (Vintage Inspired Living), and Serena Thompson and Teri Edwards (The Farm Chicks).

One thing I was quite surprised at is the blogs picked to be highlighted. I'd hoped to find lots of new delights to devour but not many of them have really grabbed me enough to search them out...

That's not a complaint exactly, I just thought the choice lacked variety...I guess these are picked out by Tara Frey so it's only natural that they'd all reflect her taste.

Just a little niggle....


Let's take a closer look at the layout, shall we?

The beginning covers all the basics of getting going...


from choosing your platform (Blogger, Typepad, Wordpress...)....


through putting thought into picking a good name and the process of setting up your blog.

Blogging For Bliss doesn't shy away from teaching some basic html, which is sooooo useful for a bit of blog-fiddling. I finally learnt how to add the © sign.

Yes... I did it!! 

Then it moves on to talk through making your blog visually appealing...taking great photos....


designing your banner, cropping and sizing images (in for the iPhoto and Windows)....


choosing fonts....


 and sorting out your sidebar.

Blogging For Bliss talks you through building up your blog traffic via giveaways, Search Engine Optimization, your Blog roll and Subscriber Feeds.


Chapter Seven focuses on linking in your business to your blog. Not in any great detail but the information provided seems pretty sound.


 And last but not least, there's a great resources list for everything blog-related from backgrounds and wallpapers to domain names.


Throughout the book the hints and tips that Blogging For Bliss gives are reinforced by screen grabs from other blogs showing how they've carried Tara's pointers through to their blogs.


Having the theory and practice side by side helps you to remember all that's being said very effectively.


I love Blogging For Bliss and am really pleased I bought it, even if it is a little on the sparse side with useful information at times. Aside from learning how to do this: © ......(don't be surprised if I copyright everything in sight now!!)....Blogging For Bliss starts from the absolute beginnings of blogging and take you through to the upper echelons of the bigger bloggers.

{So....what do you think?}


I had a fabulous weekend getting crafty. I've made a BRILLIANT cushion (even if I say so myself!) out of.....

an old pair of school trousers

and a tea towel....

Can you believe it? I hardly can myself!

I can't wait to share with you how it turned out.....

Until next time, *warm hugs*, have a lovely day.

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





34 comments :

Unknown said...

I think I need this book, so thanks for the review, Sarah. I am constantly baffled by the more techie aspects of the blog world, most recently failing completely in my attempt to register with blogrankings and getting my completely harmless site banned! EEK! Any tips? The whole html thing confuses me no end. xx

Unknown said...

that looks great!! I have avoided all things 'blog this way' but this looks like it might be helpful w/o preachy or trying to make my blog what its not meant to be. THANKS for the review!

inmykitchen said...

Hi Sarah
Thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely comment. It's nice to meet you.
Your home looks beautiful.
As for the book it may have made its way to my Christmas list!

Courtenay@Signal Hill Interiors said...

I probably need to read this. I tend to ignore all the technical stuff and go straight for things that inspire me, but you really do need all the nuts and bolts to get your message across. Thanks for the review!

NATURAL MODERN INTERIORS said...

Great book! As a newbie I already have 3 big dummies guide to blogging books. Will check it out :) Have fun, Lisa

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Wow...sounds like a book I need! My best tips have come from a couple bloggers who have noticed things on my site and made suggestions, but this sounds like a wonderful reference book as well as a source of inspiration.
Thanks for the review! Janell

Erin said...

Sounds like a pretty good book but I too am surprised at the chosen blogs. While they are great, are they the only great ones out there? Nah, but the rest sounds really handy knowledge to have:)

High Street Cottage said...

Sarah, what a nice review. I'm glad you shared the cushion info at the end, or I might have been distracted ;) "trousers and tea towel, trousers and tea towel" running through my head. Have a wonderful Monday, and I can't wait to see the end result. tami

Tricia said...

Hi Sarah! I have this book too. I thought it was a pretty book that mostly hightlighted blogs, but didn't give enough in depth info. Can't wait to see your new cushion :)

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

thanks for the review, i think i might need to check it out!

michelle said...

What a great book! I have read through Blogging for Dummies and another one that I can't remember the title right now and this one looks so much prettier! I love pictures, I am a visual person! :) I will have to look into this! Thanks!

Have a wonderful start to the new week!
xoxo

Julie Johnson said...

I have this book and really like it...I love the pics, but the techy lingo is great for someone like me. I'm seriously tech deficient. :)

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*Loved your review!! I might just have to buy it..hmm..Anyhow have a wonderful monday!!~*~*HUGS~ Rachel

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Interesting Sarah (as always). What I really need is advice on how to take a decent photo - but that's another story.

Looking forward to seeing this new cushion - you creative devil you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah, This was a most comprehensive review and I can certainly, from what you write, see the appeal that such a book could have. However, for me, I rather like the completely personal without a touch of the professional feel to a weblog since it speaks to me of the individual who has created it.

I am quite sure [ never having read 'Blogging For Bliss'] that the featured weblogs would come nowhere near yours for beautiful presentation, fun and practical ideas and 'wartsand all' advice. Stay just as you are.....but by all means copyright everything in sight!!

Olive said...

Thanks for the review. I shall continue to stumble through and learn as I go!

Vanessa said...

This book sounds wonderful! I really need to get my hands on something to help me with some of my blogging issues or areas that I could improve upon. Especially the photography part! And, oh man, I can't wait to see what you have to share with us from your crafty weekend! :-)
Vanessa

NATURAL MODERN INTERIORS said...

Hi Sarah, me again :) It was totally unexpected. I looked at my stats, nearly fell off my chair when I saw the URL link to Desire to Inspire as I knew how popular this site was. I had Desire to Inspire bookmarked for inspiration photos prior to blogging.

Nice to chat and have fun today at the races! Lisa

High Street Cottage said...

Hi again Sarah, you are too kind to share the email tip with me. I really appreciate the help. Hugs from wayyyyyyyy across the pond from someone who dreams of getting there one day, tami

Leah - The Inside Story said...

Hi Sarah, This book sounds great and would be very helpful with blogging but seriously, the technical side of it bores me and I don't have the patience to work through it all. Excellent review though.

The Moerks said...

Thank you, I think I will investigate getting this book. It looks great, just what I need.

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

Sarah, thanks for the review. I am also frequently baffled by how to manage my blog myself, so I think something like this might be in good order for me to get.

Oh, and thanks for checking in on me at my blog! I'm doing well, just really tired. My sister left this weekend and I'm working on getting the house functioning again for just my little family. I have LOTS to show off once I get things restaged, so stay tuned. Love ya!

Claire Potter said...

So I do one comment and I jump from bottom to top of list - from 5 comments to 16 comments! Either it's random and incorrect or we need a mathematician! xxx

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review, I am off the amazon to buy it right now! x

Doda said...

That looks like a cool book.I'll add it to my wish list!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today too.

I look forward to seeing your cushion!

Unknown said...

That's great! It's nice that someone put all of these tips in one place! XX!

Natasha in Oz said...

I saw that book on your nightstand and thought it looked interesting. I might have to see if I can get a copy of it.

Thanks so much for your sweet comment today-you have just made my day...actually, you have made my week! What a sweet person you are!

Best wishes and have a beautiful day....I am having my last cup of tea for the day and am getting ready for bed!
Natasha.

Holly said...

I don't know why it never occurred to me that there would be books on blogging! I'll have to see if my library has it.

Holly Lefevre said...

I have had this book since I started blogging. It is beautiful and she has tons of beautiful blogs to check out..may overall opinion on the book is still out though...some good info, but maybe at the time I was looking for real nuts and bolts info. I have visited many of the blogs she highlights and they are gorgeous...have you been to her blog...she has not been blogging much lately.

Maisa Hayee said...

Is that a book review post? I heard about this Blogging For Bliss by Tara Frey book. This book can give us creative ideas of all kinds. I must read it in my free time and today I’m looking for a capstone project help writing services. I want to learn more about this book which I don't know.

Gerrison said...

I think blogging is a bad business idea, it's more of a hobby. But you might consider opening a cool packer or cafe. And in this regard, I want to advise you the site https://www.pandadoc.com/payments/ with an excellent solution for secure online payments. This will allow your customers and suppliers to quickly pay to your personal account. All modern entrepreneurs have already tried this convenient online payment software.

RED ARROW said...

That's actually useful, thanks! Even though I'm not running a blog, I'm developing an online store, I still think that it can be quite helpful for me.

Emprise said...

That's true, and I think it's great that you're checking various sources to take your business to a new level. Have you thought of using extensions for your website as well? Something like magento 2 promotions. I believe that it can be highly beneficial for you, since you're developing an online store.

Jennyfer Kreiger said...

"Blogging for Bliss" encourages bloggers to find their authentic voice and express their creativity, embracing frugalishness allows bloggers to thrive while being mindful of their resources.

In a digital landscape where the pressure to invest in expensive tools and courses can be overwhelming, promocodehq. reminds us that success in blogging is not defined by extravagant spending.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10