Monday 15 November 2010

Guest Post: Signal Hill Interiors

Well.....? Did you notice any changes around here?

Haircut? Well, yes...and thank you for spotting that, you sweetiepie, but try again. And this time, look up....

I've got myself a brand new Header. I cobbled it together  myself.  I did like the old look but because it was only a Blogger template, it wasn't unique to me. 

Plus I decided that I should really smarten up around here a bit.

So....what do you think? I'd love your feedback if you have a moment.

Today I have a surprise for you. It's Modern Country Style's very first guest blogger! Meet Courtenay who only started her blog, Signal Hill Interiors, October. She is so gorgeously lovely...and funny too.

Take it away, Courtenay.....

Hello Modern Country Stylers!

 Courtenay here from Signal Hill Interiors. The lovely and talented Sarah has asked me to talk about my gift wrap ideas for this year so I'm just gunna do what she says. Cause this is her blog, that's why!

Let me just start by saying that I am no expert gift wrapper. Evidence of this can be found here in my original post on the subject. That being said, I think it's important for a non-wrap expert and also a slightly spaz-attack prone person such as myself to plan ahead to get the best results. I want to test what's going to look good and work now, so that when the pressure's on, I know exactly what to do and I can get all my gifts wrapped beautifully lickity-split.

The plan starts with a box.


I made a mock up of a gift, wrapping it in brown paper because that's what I'm planning to use this year.

It's important that it be wrapped exactly as I would do it in real life so I can see how it's really going to look. This is really how I wrap my presents. Really. It's that bad. Just trust me though, it's going to turn out good.

Next I gather up all my embellishments and get to work.

My first idea for this round was to just try out some extra ribbons that I have and love, but haven't found a use for.


This is simple, but cute for moms and other such people.


Sarah really liked this one and so do I. I like the impact to effort ratio here.

This idea will be used a lot.
I had an idea to use up extra bits of scrapbook paper so I cut out a whole bunch of petals from my scraps.


Then I just started placing them around like a flower.



I made three different layers.


I like this one too. This would be super fun for kids. I might actually think about putting this onto a separate piece of paper first and then attaching it so the flower can be saved after the gift is open.

I thought I'd try a little tone on tone action here.


I am crazy for this one. It took no work, just a simple double bow and it looks like a million bucks. And that tag? I just cut it from a scrap of paper and strung it on with some twine. I'm never buying tags again! This is so much cuter and actually even easier than peeling those little sticky tabs off of store bought tags.

So there you have my wrapping strategy. It's simple and totally easy, but I'm actually excited to wrap my gifts this year instead of a little fearful of the possible ridicule. 

I hope you've enjoyed your time with me today as much as I've enjoyed being here. Hope to see you again soon!


Ooooh, isn't she great? Reading Courtenay's posts always puts a spring in my step. I like blogs like that, don't you?

I'm torn between the charcoal ribbon and the tone on tone action (gotta love that title). I just love the brown paper and the simple styling. Stunning.


Please will take a minute and pay her a visit at Signal Hill Interiors....?

Have a look at the amazing chalk-board boxes they've made to hold their daughter's toys....ooh, and her amazing table make-over....and...and.... 

They just seem to produce one amazing project after another with seemingly no effort at all.

Jealous me?...... No, my face is always that shade of green....


And what's this all about?......I can't wait to show you what I've been up to over the weekend....


Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





30 comments :

Catherine said...

Well I sure do love the new header!! I too am deciding that Spring has sprung (well, here at least) and my blog could do with a little pep talk :-)

I am in favour of the tone on tone action :-) Courtney sure is clever and I like her style - that is, plan ahead to avert any potential spaz-attacks...a girl after my own heart!

I can't wait to see what that little snippet of ruby red ribbon is all about...

Hugs

Cath

PS - I LOVED your suitcase post, I am really glad you pointed it out to me: just gorgeous!!

xx

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Thanks for sharing the wrapping/toppers ideas. As much as I love to decorate & create goodies of all types, wrapping packages is completely forced for me -- do not enjoy it. Thank you also for stopping by my blog.
CAS

liz @ designing domesticity said...

Wow, I can not believe you managed all these changes on your own. I too would love to mix things up, but have given myself a one year timeframe to have it done properly. Such inspiration as always! liz @ designing domesticity

Unknown said...

Love your new, extremely stylish header, you are very savvy in the IT department, do you give lessons?!!

Wild Acre flowers are wrapped in craft paper - just can't beat it, and then you can spend the extra pennies on gorgeous ribbon, lovely!xx

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandi said...

Love the new header! Change is good! : )

I like the tone on tone look too. Thanks for sharing your ideas Courtenay!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Amazing new header!!

And love the gift wrap ideas :)
How fun to have a guest blogger

Jenny

Michelle said...

Love the new header :)

And I love all the gift wrap ideas, I was thinking about plain paper myself this year and now it's final, I'm going to do it! I scored a HUGE bag of ribbons at a thrift store for $2 and was needing something to do with them!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

You did a fabulous job with your header, fits your blog and style, most impressed you did it yourself!
Janell

Samantha said...

The header looks fabulous! I am really crappy at wrapping presents. I like the tone on tone the best! Off to visit her :-)

michelle said...

I love your new header Sarah!! Very nice work! Great tips for wrapping and sprucing up brown paper! Thanks for the ideas! Already started putting things up for Christmas :)
I can't wait to see what you were up to! Have a lovely day!

Erin said...

I actually did notice the header first and I love it! I love how you put you bed in the middle with your heart pillow, perfect!! Great guest post, great ideas! Can't wait to see what you are working on!

Anonymous said...

Your look is so chic! I really like that it was made by you!

I love the brown paper. I have done that too in the past. But only adults like it. I tried it on the kids...did not go over well.

Anyhoo, I like the tone on tone...and cannot wait to see what you have done with that velvety ribbon...did you know I love velvet and that colour???? Do you have to tease me that bad??

Aimee Cotton Bogush said...

I am your newest follower ;-) I am just loving your site. I'm drooling over your serene and beautiful home, projects, and style. Thanks for sharing your fabulousness!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... I noticed the change, right off! The style is just perfect for your personality. I love the idea of wrapping gifts in brown paper. The homemade flower, ribbons and tags are so cute.I'll have to pop over to Courtneys site. Hope you had a peaceful weekend!
~Michelle

Tricia said...

Oh Sarah, I just LOVE your new header. Did you make it on picnik? Courtenay has some nice ideas, I'll have to go and check out her blog :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE the new header! Thank you for introducing us to such a lovely blog! I'm not jealous at all either...hmmm!! x

Anonymous said...

Hey SARAH....Do you have the time to give me a little teeny tiny tutorial via email or something on how to "grab a button" I am hopelessly clueless.

High Street Cottage said...

Sarah, the header was the first thing I noticed, and it's amazing! I changed mine a couple weeks ago, and seem to be always changing if I take a new photo I like, I think about adding it. I love yours, it certainly suits not only your style but your overall theme. Very smart! As for Courtney, I love your packaging. I have always used simple "brown bag" type paper, and added flowers on top or other bits of nature, but the cut out flower is just beautiful, and I love the way you made the tag, I purchased a tag punch that was the wrong size yesterday, but now I see I can simply cut the cards at the ends with a hole punch added. Lovely all around, xoxo tami

Room Seventeen said...

Wow, love your new header!

chris said...

Lovely new header. Well done.

Vanessa said...

Hi Sarah! I noticed the new header right away! It looks fabulous! And what a fun guest post! I absolutely love the idea of using the scrap paper to make a flower on the package...very original! I'm going to hop on over to her blog and say hi now.
Thanks!
Vanessa

Courtenay@Signal Hill Interiors said...

Thanks, for hosting me, Sarah. Ooops, I guess my font shows up a little teeny on your blog doesn't it? Oh well, I think the message got across. It's so nice to have all these lovely comments for me on your blog! This was so fun!

re:Inspire said...

Great job on your header! Wish I could figure out how to do that!
Lisa

Olive said...

Sarah, your header is fabulous dahling. Collages tend to build my character as they are hard for me. The tone on tone bow is my favorite. ♥O

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

Hey Sarah, I like the new header. Very nice. But I thought your old style was great too...you have great taste either way.

I'm a big fan of Courtenay, and I love this wrapping feature. Wrapping/displaying is not a gift I have, so these tips are great.

Unknown said...

pretty work

Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt said...

great post and great insight ---- love it when the stress factor of making something pretty does not have to department store wrapped.

Cheers~
e

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*~*Great guest post!! I LOVE your new header Sarah!! It looks fantastic~**~HUGS, Rachel ;) ~*~*

FallingXmoment said...

Do you like organic chocolate? You can look at
chocolate gifts for a gift to loved ones. This is a very good gift. My friend gave me this gift and I really liked it. There are many flavors of organic chocolate, and your loved ones can try whatever you like. I really liked the chocolate with sea salt. Go to their website and see for yourself.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10