Friday 5 November 2010

Prepare to enter Kitchen Nirvana.....


 WARNING You are now entering Kitchen Nirvana

When I bought the November 2010 issue of Period Living recently, they had featured this utterly luscious kitchen. Not one to keep great finds all to myself...

...well, maybe not with chocolate...I'm not a great sharer of chocolate...

I made an exception for you yesterday with the Chocolate Fudge Cake....

...I scoured the Internet to find some images from the magazine to bring to you at Modern Country Style.

I even found the text ...plus the budget break down too.

Nosy heaven, here I come...



Don't you just love EVERYTHING? The units, the colours, the mixing of wood and granite for the worktops, the beautiful larder cupboard.

The handles look remarkably similar to my bedside table makeover, don't you think?

Oh my, I'm getting breathless...

Too....

Much...

Scrumptiousness...

In....

One...

Place...

Quickly moving on, here's the text:

"When Sara and David Parr bought their Victorian vicarage three years ago, they had no idea how much care and attention would be needed to bring it back to life. It had been left untouched for several years, and many of the rooms were out of proportion with the size of the property. Wanting to create a room that would become the new heart of the home, they transformed two reception rooms into one impressive kitchen/dining room. Their vision and skill have earned their renovation project Best Room Makeover and Readers’ Choice in our Readers’ Awards 2010.


Sara explains: ‘When we bought it, the house had eight bedrooms and four reception rooms, and the kitchen was far too small for this size of house. After many long evenings discussing what to do and exchanging various ideas back and forth, we decided to cut down on the number of bedrooms to make them more usable. Meanwhile, downstairs, we felt we should take out the wall between what was then the dining room and an adjacent sitting room.’


In the sitting room, an original chimney breast had to be removed before the wall could be demolished, and then a four-metre steel joist was installed to hold the house up. ‘We knew immediately that it was the right decision,’ says Sara. ‘The dark north-facing dining room was flooded with light from the south-facing sitting room, and we had the best views across the farmland from two rooms instead of one; and now the old kitchen makes a great boot room.


‘It had always been our dream to reinstate as many period features as possible, and make the most of the surviving ones,’ she continues. ‘We also wanted a classic kitchen that would suit the Victorian style of our house, but with all the modern technology of today.’

Original features they have restored in the room include shutters at each window and the sizeable York flagstones. ‘The flags were covered in asphalt,’ says Sara, ‘but we cleaned them up and they look fantastic. We weren’t so lucky in the dining room, though. The original flooring was in a terrible state so we replaced it with reclaimed walnut boards, which we feel look just right.’ To add further period style, David fitted cornicing, picture rails and traditional looking radiators; and to finish off the room, he added two plaster ceiling roses and large chandeliers.

After receiving a costly quote from a bespoke kitchen company, David and Sara designed the layout and units themselves, with ornate detailing and plenty of work surfaces and storage, and chose soft heritage colours from Farrow & Ball for the units and walls. They then commissioned a local joinery firm, Dovetail, to build and fit everything to their plan. A pewter coloured Aga was installed in the old chimney breast, with a beautiful surround; and a large larder cupboard was created to provide efficient storage. An enormous island was then built to house the appliances and double sink, and was attached to a new breakfast bar. A combination of solid oak and polished granite worktops were fitted next; and finally, a farmhouse plate rack completed the elegant feel.


Sara says: ‘Through the rewarding experience of renovating our kitchen, we’ve learned to let the house dictate what’s right to us. We found our thoughts and ideas evolved every week so we’re glad we didn’t rush the process, and we’ll do the same with the rest of the house. It may be time consuming but we want a home that we’ll be happy with for many years to come.’

Budget breakdown

Total cost of kitchen renovation: £34,650

Building work (removal of dividing wall and plastering) £2,600

Plumbing (taps, radiators, labour) £2,300

Electrics (rewiring) £200

New kitchen (units, worktops, inc fitting) £17,600

Paint £700

Flooring (reclaimed walnut, inc fitting) £1,750

Pelmets, cornice, panels £2,100

Tiles £400

Aga £7,000 "


Nice, huh?

You are now returning to the world of normal....

Deep breaths...and relax....

Have a great weekend, chickadees...

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





51 comments :

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Gosh I could be the first to comment here! Well, Sarah, I'm feeling a tad disgruntled and I'm verging on the insanely jealous. That kitchen doesn't look "normal" to me. Where's all the clutter for a start? And did the article say EIGHT bedrooms? S'not fair.

Lovely choc fudge cake btw, we must do it again!

Doda said...

hmmmmm, a slightly larger than average budget for a kitchen redo methinks! Still much can be done with little. But oh yeh, gorgeous! I could move right into that kitchen!

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh! I am in love! I love everything about this kitchen and it sounds like the whole house is wonderful, 8 bedrooms indeed!!

I would love to have a kitchen island that also had a built in sink...more room to splash around! And I love a plate rack. Thanks so much for sharing this article, Sarah!

XO,
Jane

Blondie said...

WOW! That is one gorgeous kitchen!! Great to be here...I just LOVE Friday follow!! I'm your newest fan! :-)

Thanks!

Chris
http://absolutely--positive.blogspot.com/

Sweet Libertine said...

Oh wow. Woweee wow wow! This is my dream kitchen! Just stunning!

Designing Domesticity said...

Oh how I miss Period Living! Love that kitchen - such great inspiration. If only I lived in a vicerage! Thanks for posting. liz @ http://designingdomesticity.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I feel very jealous! I love it, and they designed it themselves!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Absolutely gorgeous home, it would be fun to see what they have done with other spaces!
Janell

Katie Olthoff said...

Here from New Friend Friday. That is a GORGEOUS kitchen! We have an old house, but it wasn't big enough to do anything like that!

High Street Cottage said...

Sarah, they seem like nice people, I bet they'd let you and I move in, if we promise to do their dishes and clean the windows for life ;)It's the kind of kitchen one dreams of. When they dream of kitchens, and I do.

Leigha said...

That first kitchen is heaven! Pure heaven.

Leigha

P.S. Have a gorgeous weekend dear!

michelle said...

What a gorgeous kitchen!!! Everything about it is LOVE!!! I have always wanted a plate rack like that....*sign* no room in my kitchen :( Thanks for sharing!

You have a wonderful weekend as well my friend!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oooh and not to forget aaaahhh! That house is incredible. I wonder if one would even cook in a kitchen that pretty?! I love the wall plate rack. Okay, I love all of it!

Have a great weekend, Sarah!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Another fabulous friday favorite for sure :-)

chris said...

I think I'm hyperventilating a bit as well. Oh, isn't it wonderful to look at eye candy like that?

Erin said...

Love it all Sarah, made me wonder though, would you like to trade some magazines from England for some from the states? Let me know:)

*~Petra~* said...

Oh I am in love with this kitchen. The only thing it has remotely similar to mine is the color of the walls (which I love btw.)

I'm a new follower from the hops. Hope you will come and visit! :) Petra

http://donuts2crumpets.blogspot.com

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

DROOLING...thanks Sarah!!! ;)

Tricia said...

Love, love, love it. The outside of that house is pretty darn gorgeous too!

Courtenay@Signal Hill Interiors said...

But I don't want to return to normal! Kitchen Nirvana is good! I want more Kitchen Nirvana! Ok, I officially want a plate rack now. Where's that hand husband of mine....?

lori vliegen said...

boy, you're not kidding!!! this is the kitchen of all kitchens!! i loved reading about the renovation, too.....thanks for sharing this......and for being willing to share your chocolate...... :))))

Kathiey's World said...

Hi from North Carolina. I am visiting from New Friend Friday and I love your blog. Add me to you list of new followers:-)

Raine and Sage said...

Certainly gorgeous and amazing. Total antonyms to my kitchen. For that price though it's not surprising. How nice to have that as the hub of your home!! x

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Oh I love it all so much!! It is perfection!! Those green walls with the creamy cabinets are to die for!

Letitia Linke - The White Shed said...

Oh what a kitchen. Thanks for sharing. Letitia x

Prior said...

Wowee! That is a dream kitchen! Lezlee

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

WOW!!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! What a beautiful kitchen!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Ness Lockyer said...

That is house nirvana! What a stunning place to be. Gorgeous.
Ness xx

Lee Weber said...

That's a lotta US dollars. WOW. I am so naive. We moved into a 6 bed (really could be 8), 4 bath house, with the idea we would renovate the kitchen first. It was to be my "reward" for moving to this godforsaken place. Riiiiiiiiiiight. I painted to horrible cabinets, but that's about it. Most of the bedrooms are empty- big surprise. And now I need about $60K for the kitchen?? Oy vey.

Blissful & Domestic said...

Thankyou so much for the tips I will try them.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

I agree.....over the top delish!

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Anonymous said...

Hi there, new follower from the NFF Blog Hop. I look forward to reading more from you. :)

Please come by and visit/follow me too. Thanks so much. Marie

The Things We Find Inside

The Moerks said...

Oh my, that kitchen is divine. I am in serious envy. I must try and find that magazine. Period Living, I don't think I have seen it. Google, here I come!!

Deb said...

Beautiful kitchen Sarah! Perfect timing as we are just starting our kitchen reno and I have been thinking about going with black countertops with white cabinets...love it! ~Deb~

Kym said...

Oh I love it when can I move in???? Seriously...I have just discovered your blog and love it too....thanks for sharing "Nirvana".. Kym X

A Room For Everyone said...

Yes, I love EVERYTHING! I particularly love the window - wow! Beautiful images and such an interesting story..Rachaelxx

Samantha said...

Oh, that kitchen is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Becca Bertotti said...

Excuse me while I drooooool !! Wow ... talk about kitchen eye candy. I definitely have kitchen envy right now. All the details ... the bright open space ... the gorgeous cabs and counters. I can see why you love this look! Thanks for sharing, *Becca*

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how excited I am!!!!!! I could do a jig or reel down the street.....yippeeee.

Amanda Lee said...

This is a beautiful kitchen -- thank you for sharing it! I don't think I've seen this publication before.

Courtenay@Signal Hill Interiors said...

Wow, this post was just so gorgeous I had to come back and have another look! Ok, it sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not! I need a nice tea set to casually leave out on the counter like that.

I'm just Chris said...

New follower here. I have to say that is breathtaking!
Thanks for Sharing!
Take Care!

Marisa said...

Oh.My.Goodness. That just blew my dream house out of the water. That is absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for finding that and sharing it with us!

Amanda said...

OH WOW! Drooling here....really really drooling! Oh only in my dreams.

Anyway I am your newest follower and I just LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog. Is there anyway you can come check out my latest post. I just posted pics of some of my new decorating over the weekend, but I also posted pics of one room and area that I just don't know what to do with and could totally use suggestions. Pretty Please???? :)

Thanks-
Amanda

http://adventuresinansleyland.blogspot.com/2010/11/channeling-my-inner-pottery-barn-and.html

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah, great Period Living Pics. I love some of the details, but strangely I'm not a total fan. The space, light, Georgian ceiling and window height are to die for, aga obviously lush, wall colour different and a bit brave, but I think the two floor materials jar and break the space uncomfortably and I am not a fan at all of the stranded looking pelmet things. For me the pistachio walls and deep brown wood just don't sit well. What a nitpicker I am, but loving the platerack although they are brutes for dust. Got me thinking about design and I love posts that do that so thanks!!

Unknown said...

Your kitchen looks wonderful! I know you are so proud of it! :)


Kitchen Cabinet Santa Fe
Kitchen Design Centre

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE the look of your kitchen. It's so gorgeous. You should be proud of yourself!!

Cleveland Living Room Furniture


Cleveland Kitchen Cabinets

Home Stars said...

This kitchen is absolutely breathtaking! I love everything about it

Home Furniture Denver


Kitchen Cabinets Parker

Zoe said...

That first kitchen is heaven! Pure heaven.
linen pillowcase hair
blue geometric pillow
solid pillows cotton

Home Insights said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Home Insights said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10