Monday 11 July 2011

Introducing Annie Sloan....

Finally it's here!! 
Annie Sloan week. 
Yay! 
I've been so looking forward to sharing all this with you.


The week before last, I had the enormous pleasure of spending the day with Annie, learning by her side how best to use her paints. And ever since then, I've been a busy little bee, scurrying about putting all her hints and tips into practice, ready to show you on Modern Country Style.

And now, finally, the time has come.


that have been developed to use especially for painting furniture 
- though they have a myriad of other uses too. 

The reason why these Chalk Paints are special is that they can be
painted on seemingly any surface with little or no preparation 
needed to help the paint to adhere.


It's the whole preparation malarky - stripping, priming and sanding -
that I've always hated so I've been thrilled to bits to find paints that 
cut out the tedium.

Fancy painting straight onto galvanized metal for a look that lasts?
Feel free.....but if you don't use the right paint, it'll all come a-peeling off.


I hope through reading the posts this week
that you'll come to understand
how different they are from 
any other paint range  

How incredibly user-friendly they are while still allowing you 
the control in determining the final look of any piece. 

Annie Sloan knows her stuff.
She's been in the business of paints for over forty years. 
And that meant riding the nineties where, in the UK at least,
paint techniques were not the fashion.


But I LOVE it that Annie didn't flee to pursue 
the next money-making project when times were hard. 
She persevered with what she loved.
Her heart and soul are in her paints. 

It's this passion for her products that comes over 
as soon as you enter her gorgeous shop.


I wanted to start the week by 
showing you behind the scenes at the 
Annie Sloan shop in Oxford.

I was expecting a mega-emporium but no! It's a sweet little shop 
{not to be confused with a little sweet shop}
that's a bit like a tardis. It looks small from the front 
but streeeeeetches back further than seems possible.

On one wall is a huge paint chart, showing how each of the Annie Sloan paint colours looks straight from the pot, and alsowhen mixed with Old White, currently the palest colour in the range.

{Though not for long....}


And dotted around are beautiful pieces which show the whole range of paint effect possible from using Annie Sloan's paint range.

And don't stray far, peeps, because, tomorrow, 
I'll talk you through the colour possibilities...

Ooooh, and next Friday 22nd July, I'll be having a 

Paint, Please Link Party

where I want to see what *you've* been painting
....rooms, furniture, children. 
{Okay, not children.}

You'll be able to link up all your 
fabulousness you've achieved 
(using any range of paint)
and we can have a group-ogling session.

My favourite thing to do!!




(All images: mine)

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





34 comments :

chris said...

How fun to play with such paint goodness! I must confess I'm a bit jealous.

lisaroy said...

Dang it! I'm SO wanting to get my hands on some here in Dubai. I just love the sheer laziness of it! :)

WhiteWhispers2u said...

I just used my chalk paint this weekend and love it! I went crazzzy too.I painted a vanity for my daughter, a few frames and a ladder.I only used not even half of the can too.Awesome! I used the Paris Grey and clear wax.
It covers so well and really with only one coat of paint as well, but I did go over it just to be sure.
I will check back to see what info you have for us.~Cheers Kim

Deborah said...

Hi sweet Sarah!
Oh such a scrumptious post...Im so excited to hear about Annies paints!
Thanks for showing us all about the possibilities here with them...Ill be back to see what you'll show us next!!
Love everything about this paint and plan to get some in the future!!
Thank you for your sweet note to me!!!

Missed you!!

Deborah xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Oh! It all looks so gorgeous. Can't find this paint in Canada
:( I'l have to go to Oxford to visit school friends then.

Can't wait for the party.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Sarah-
just curious, is this paint suitable for pressed wood laminate type furniture. (RTA: ready to assemble cabinets, let's say) ???

Would love to know. So I can get me some. I'm just too- too lazy to prep,prime and paint those things, but sOOOO want to paint them! (AND BE DONE!)

THANKS!
Pat

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Sarah, You are a wonderful and gifted teacher and motivator. Thanks for introducing us to Annie. I really want to paint my oak dinning chairs. They were expensive (Amish made) . . . but I really want to paint them. When I come to visit England . . . let's have lunch in Oxford and you can take me to Annie's store.

Keep up the great writing.

Fondly,
Glenda

Susan T said...

Sarah her paints are just what are needed for my bedroom furniture. I had been putting off re-vamping them due to the agony of prep work needed. Yippee I can slap paint on with gay abandon, and have even found an outlet in LANCASHIRE!!!!! that sells her paints etc. Now all I need is your guidance to work me through it, plus deciding the colour. Can't wait for the next instalment.

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Paints that "cut out the tedium". Yahoo! Sounds briliant.

michele said...

looking forward to trying it someday soon! how fun that you were able to learn from the master.

you may know i have been nuts about chalkBOARD paint for years for my word panels, but these colors are luscious.

have a lovely week, mama.

michele

Brandi said...

I've heard SO much about chalk paint. I keep seeing it on blogs and would LOVE to try it!

Unknown said...

I can't wait for the Annie Sloan paints to arrive in Australia. It's frustrating as Annie was born in Australia! Can't wait to see what else you do....
xox Kerry

Cindy said...

This is very interesting, Sarah, I hope I can learn something that will help me paint my big old armoire. I do not wish to strip it, so something like this would be ideal.
One problem, though, I don't know where in Canada I can find it.
Tty tomorrow! Cindy

A Farmer's Wife said...

Such gorgeous paint - I don't think it is available in Australia. I love the concept of no preparation.

Sarah said...

Oh goody! I just posted today about my recent painting project but I will definitely link up next week. I love these paints and that you don't need the bloody primer! what a pain that is! I am very impressed and wondering if her paints are available here in the good 'ole USofA...looking forward to more info! ;-)

At The Picket Fence said...

What an incredible experience that must have been!! So happy for you to get to meet THE Annie Sloan and that you are going to share more about her with the rest of us! :-)
Vanessa

camp and cottage living said...

Thank you for your informative post about Annie Sloan. I honestly didn't know who she was.
I've used chalk paint before many years ago-more like eons ago. It sounds like it's much improved now!
Kate and William were here in Canada last week wowing us all. They are just lovely kids. I'm sure you're all proud of them!!

the fishermans cottage said...

Great post Sarah, so nice to see inside Annie Sloan's shop. I have been meaning to try her paint for so long now, looking forward to post! x

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

A paint revolution! I love it! I absolutely hate the whole sanding malarky so this paint is right up my street!

Magali @ The Little White House said...

Wonderful post and wonderful link party!!! I do hope that I'll be able to be on time, for once! I had to "evacuate" the Little White House, due to some problems, but I'm still paiting, though, in my parents' garage!!! (Only for a little while, I hope)
I'm looking forward to reading this week's posts!

Anonymous said...

Very timely! If all goes according to plan my ebay bid on a dresser will win this week and I will have something to paint. I've also been casting my beady eye in the direction of the bed in the spare room which I believe would be immeasurably improved by a lick of paint.

Nat at Made in Home said...

Chalk paint - I really want to do something with that.. Another Link in party! Cannot wait.

Anonymous said...

sounds great, I hate prep. I am in Australia and sounds like its not here yet :(, I will be keeping my eyes open for it.

Unknown said...

Lucky you sounds like fun, im still getting used to painting furniture & its all such hard work sometimes, these paints seem dreamy

Sarah said...

Oooh, now this is right up my street - I have a thing for painting furniture (I can see 4 painted pieces just from where I'm sat!!) and have always fancied giving Annie's paint a try.....

S x

n*stitches said...

Beautiful! Where can we find them??

Meera @ firstsense said...

This is such a treat, it's awesome that you got to meet Annie Sloan! I have been thinking about painting some furniture so looks like these paints will be perfect!

Love to you, sweet thing!

Meera xx

Tanya said...

Such a great little tid bit of info. I'm very excited to try these paints!

Michella Marie said...

OKAY!! I'm jumping on the bandwagon, lol!! I will have to get me some of this magic paint and give it a whirl :))
There is a new vendor in the Antique Gallery where I have my booth who is a "stockist" if anybody is interested!!
LOVE FROM TEXAS!!
~~Michella~~
www.michellamarie.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Eye candy for sure! Show me more!!!

Le said...

wow wee how fab !!what a clever wee chooky she is :) can't wait to see what you decide to do ... loving that paris grey :) le xox

Lauren said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I am incredibly jelous.. my husband is a manager of a large paint store here in Aus and he cant get this in :( this makes me so sad as it just looks so beautiful and easy to use!

hmm must get him to push head office... hehehe

Chookie said...

* squeal * Our painters have just started! Hoping to have something to show you on the 22nd!
Lauren just up there, it would be hard for Annie Sloan to compete with Porter's Paints, I imagine.

Elz @House Pour said...

Hmm and to think I was IN Oxford a year ago. I wonder how long her shop has been there? I hate when you visit places and then find out later you totally missed a gold mine of an experience! Sounds like you had a fun week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10