Thursday 16 August 2012

The Perfect Modern Country Coat!?

On The Apprentice a couple of years ago, there was a contestant named Liz. I was outraged when she didn't win. It wasn't a matter of qualifications, looks or personality. Dang it, even her flawless CV didn't swing it for me. Liz should totally have won The Apprentice that year on account of her gorgeous mac.


It caught my beady eye the first time she wore it, and each episode my heart literally leaped if I caught a glimpse of said coat.

Cream with black taffetta detailing. All the essentials from the Country Classic mac but absolutely beautifully updated with Modern touches. An extra wide lapel, an additional collar panel, super-size pockets. Perfect Modern Country fashion.


I had mac-lust.

The Apprentice series finished and so, I thought, had the coat....
until the night, when lolling off to sleep, I had the sudden and thrilling thought that I might be able to find out where the mac was from on this here Internet.


I seem to recall that it was that very night that I grabbed my laptop and started frantically typing away. {Liz Apprentice mac, Liz Apprentice BBC coat, Liz cream black trench....ad nauseum} 

First of all, I managed to find a few images of Liz wearing the coat.


And then, after a number of fruitless searches, I stumbled across a forum which discussed that very item. My fellow coat-devotees were also trying to work out where Liz's mac was from. Someone offered that they had seen the coat in Karen Millen. Off I toddled to their website. Nothing. Hmmph.

So, never one to be deterred once I'm on a mission....next stop, ebay. I decided to start off with my only clue and searched for Karen Millen trench coats.

And, knock me down with a feather, there was the very mac of Liz's that I had been lusting after. 


In my size. Brand new. 
Eeeeeek!
It turned out that it was from the previous season, hence why I couldn't find it on the Karen Millen website. Duh! Of course!
It was a gooooooood moment! 


Anyway, to cut a long story shortish, I managed to buy the coat. It was no bargain, sadly. In fact, it cost more than it would have from Karen Millen.

But worth every single penny.
I love it. 

In fact, lots of you loved it too when I showed you this outfit from my 30 for 30 (mixing 30 pieces into 30 outfits over 30 days), back in January, when I was all of five months pregnant.

Do you remember? 


{I was definitely at that 'Is she pregnant or has she just eaten too many pies?' stage!}

Don't you love it when a plan comes together?


Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





14 comments :

bj said...

O,Sarah...you are sooo cute.
So thrilled you found the coat. Ebay and I have a Love/Hate relationship.:))

Enjoy every single solitary minute, even the sleepy 3:00 a.m. mintues, with your precious baby. I swear, you lay down one night and they are 6 months old..when you wake up the next morning, they are 16. Time flys sooo fast.
xoxo

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

How fun Sarah! I love the determination, and I would definitely say it was worth it. What a stunning coat!

I hope things are going really well for you, Mom of 5!

Deborah said...

Yes its gorgeous and so are you sweet Sarah!
How have you been lovely?!
:):):):)

Deborah xoxoxooxox

Travel With Lulu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Travel With Lulu said...

I had to google 'mac', realizing you weren't talking about her computer :) And I remember with envy that you wore that 'mac' when we met - I love it so! Such a great story as to how it came into your hands :)

loveandlilac said...

It's a great mac I agree and you look just fab in it, but I have to confess the in The Apprentice I was far too distracted to notice it by the chump that was Stuart Baggs 'the brand' !

Louise x

Claudia said...

Hello Sarah!
I am truly enjoying your blog! Purely perfect!

Paula said...

My goodness - I LOVE it when a plan comes together, and there's no feeling finer than the pleasure of delayed gratification, and getting something after wanting it for Soooooo long! I've often seen something on tv and wished that I could press my remote direct to a shopping channel to buy it. I used to do this all of the time with Kirtsy on Location, location, location. There was one season where she always wore the most AMAZING jewellery, and wide peasant skirts, and I could have turned the volume down and stared lustfully at her outfits alone. I think that my husband probably thought that I was going through a sapphic moment - but it was ALL about the shell necklace!
You look beautiful in your precious find - well done on your hunting instincts!
Lots of love,
Paula xxx

Deborah said...

Wow, you should be a detective or something sweetie, great job at finding that wonderful mac! you do look gorgeous in it :) hope you and baby are keeping well, I supposed baby will be growing now! have a happy weekend

Bee happy x

lisaroy said...

Stunning coat! Thats one thing I miss about living in Dubai - never getting a chance to wear a fabulous coat!

Elaine said...

Love the coat, on you. I think my body is a little too large for that style.

It's definitely Modern Country Style.

Greta said...

I love, love, love that coat...and all the trenches you have blogged about recently. Definitely making me excited for fall and digging out all my coats! :D

Heather said...

Great coat. Definitely worth the effort. Fab pic of you too!

Unknown said...

Hello Sarah,
Do you have any photos of the back of this coat or perhaps u can describe it? Thanks!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10