Wednesday 12 September 2012

Easy Guide To Using Florals In A Modern Country Girls Bedroom

Today, I want to share specifics of what to do when you want the warmth and romance of florals but hate the chintzy look.

Here's my handy guide to using florals in a 
Modern Country scheme.


One. Stick to using florals only on your soft furnishings. 
You can amp up the romance by including quilts and curtains....


...or keep it low-key by giving the floral treatment to just one or two cushions.



Two. Using only one design allows you to include more pattern in the room, without increasing the impact-overload....



Three. If you want to mix and match patterns then restrict the colour palette of the designs you use. So here, for example, only white and crimson have been allowed in the room schemes, creating a gently laid-back vibe.


...and this room uses the same colour scheme but has kept the use of scarlet to the very minimum.



Four. Incorporate a feature wall, using wallpaper with a vintagey floral design wallpaper. Pick out paint for the rest of the room in the background hue of the wallpaper so that the papered wall blends beautifully with the rest of the room. 
 


In the next few posts, I'll stop the teasing and get on showing you how we've carried out these ideas in our home...

and, yes, it just might involve some gorgeous Cabbages and Roses!


Images via Cabbages and Roses, Country Homes and Interiors, 
Homes and Gardens, Cabbages and Roses, Ideal Home, Homes and Gardens

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





19 comments :

ANNE said...

What lovely rooms Sarah!

On Crooked Creek said...

Sarah,
These are all quite nice, dear friend!!! So, tell me, dear one...what DID you do???
Fondly,
Pat

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Haha!! All details coming up....yes, rather slower than originally intended...I blame having a newborn baby!! ;-)

Sarahx

Susan T said...

You are a tease, but I forgive you. I love the fourth room down it looks so calm and relaxing.

The Snowdrop Project said...

Thanks for the guide on florals Sarah.
I like them all, and they aren't my usual style.
Looking forward to seeing your finished project.
Have a lovely day,
Lizx

MONICA LIVAS said...

Wonderful photos!

Teresa said...

cute!!! i love white furniture, mine have always been white<3 the flower details you featured here makes everything look so delicate.. it is just inviting me to jump there and take a nap :)

xx
teresa
www.trend-ish.com

Fitted Bedroom Furniture said...

What beautiful and inspirational ideas! Thank you for posting!

Lori said...

I WANT that last iron bed. Gorgeous.

Cindy said...

Great tips! Such dreamy bedrooms, love them!
Hugs, Cindy

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

So super pretty! Great eye candy for my Thursday morning!
XO
kristin

Victoria said...

Sarah, thank you so much for stopping by my blog and following me also! It means a lot to me when the "big" bloggers visit:) I've been following yours for a while, always lovely.

These are beautiful photo's!

Almost Precious said...

Great post ! Florals can be tricky and maybe that's why lots of people shy away from using them. You've shown us some lovely rooms where the floral patterns don't overwhelm us and you've given us some good advice and tips on how to use these prints.
Looking forward to seeing the rooms you've created. :)

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

Such great tips! I'm excited to see how you've done this in your house. And thank you a ton for making my day with the super sweet comment!! I love your blog so far; I'm so excited to keep reading! xo

Annie said...

Love the pattern mixing with the florals...so fun!

Annie
The Other Side of Gray

SImple and Serene Living said...

These are all so pretty. I think I like the second one the best :)

Vintage Street Designs said...

Just found your blog...love it! I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit. Blessings ~ Judy

Blooming Rose Musings said...

I love florals and your guide is wonderful. All the images are soft and delightful. I am so looking forward to seeing what you have planned. XO

discount bedroom furniture said...

Amazing concept, usually I won't post but your blog is an idea, and has the work behind it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10