Wednesday 21 March 2012

Edwardian Porches: Dos and Don'ts...

 Whilst we've been thinking about what we want for the porch design for our Edwardian house, I've come up with a list of Porch Dos and Don'ts, along with some images to match.....wanna see?

{Let's have a little game...you have to guess which images are Dos and which are Don'ts...}

Make sure the design looks original:


The porch should fit in well with your neighbours:

 

...and with the street....


The porch should reflect the scale of your house:


And, finally, use similar materials to the main building:


Did you guess the Dos and the Don'ts??! 
These are the thoughts that we're using to envisage our dream porch design....I can't wait to show you...but it won't be ready for quite a while so let's press onwards and upwards...

Can you believe I'm seven months pregnant now? 
And I'm still enjoying wearing clothes that aren't from my 30 for 30!!

On Friday, I'll be sharing how...

Images via: Adtrader, Victorious Feline, BricksandBrass, unknown, Victorious Feline

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





17 comments :

fourkidsmom said...

Sarah, porches are my most favorite part of a house. Thanks for the pictures. Great.

Bluebells and Lavender said...

Lovely photos Sarah, I just LOVE that Wisteria taking over the entire house! Beautiful.x Sharon

Courtenay@Creek Line House said...

Fun post! I think I figured out which was which. I love dreaming about our own porch that we'll build one day, maybe way in the future, but one day!

loveandlilac said...

Now that first picture makes me shudder. There's a hideous porch a few doors down from me I would like to take a mallet to!

Deborah said...

Can't wait to see your porch :) Hasn't time flown! are you prepared for your new arrival yet?

Bee happy x
Have a delicious day!

LindyLouMac said...

A fun post Sarah, but how an earth do you find time to source all these photos!

Laurie said...

What an exciting project. Sounds like you have plenty of time to do your porch homework. But that baby will be here before you know it! Congrats on 7 months :)

Unknown said...

gosh that sounds like a lot of work but i bet it'll look great whatever you decide to do. did you know my folks live in england, near Cambridge. Where's Cotswolds?

Anonymous said...

7 months! Fabulous - Hope you're keeping well and not doing too much with this porch business to take a break and rest!

L x

SImple and Serene Living said...

7 months. WOW, can't believe how fast time is going. Love all the porches. So very English :)

Paula said...

Great post - got a hunch that the first image is NOT how you envisage yours! Congratulations on your pregnancy - a Summer baby - how lovely! Great blog and look forward to seeing your porch.

Little Leslie said...

Hi Sarah, sorry I haven't been to your site for a while. I haven't been commenting lately. But I want to say, congrats on the baby, and some of those porches are too over done. Can't wait to see a pic of you at 7 months and your porch.. take care,
Leslie

Homes and Dreams said...

I've just discovered your lovely blog and wanted to say hi! Just going to put the kettle on, make a cuppa (in an Emma Bridgewater mug of course!) and have a good read of it.

Vicky x

Elaine said...

I really love the second one with the stained glass. Takes me back to my visit to England many moons ago. I need to go back.

Le said...

loving all that wisteria over the last house image - so delightful le xox

modern house plans said...

I personally choose this design. How inspiring.

Kate said...

Ha, this post really made me laugh. We bought an Edwardian terrace a few months ago that has a hideous porch above the front door, I think built in the 1970s by the same people who knocked out the original fireplaces and basically did a whole load of 1970s 'improvements' to the house that we have been diligently 'un-doing' to restore the place to its former glory! Every day I think about the joy I will have when I eventually get to rip that ugly thing down!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10