Thursday 15 September 2011

Easy Patchwork Cushion Reveal!


Hey honeypie,


Here's my version of the Easiest Patchwork cushion in the world.
Thank you for your lovely comments yesterday on the tutorial.

Please don't ever think that you can't sew.
You CAN.

Yes, YOOOOOU!!


You don't have to put your foot all the way down on the pedal. 
If you're a beginner, just take it super-slowly and you'll be fine.
Truly you will.


The good thing about using samples you've collected
{though you could, of course, use any scraps of material you choose}
is that they all blend together perfectly.

Not exactly matched but harmonising in exactly the way I love. 
Gentle coordination, rather than 80s-stylee matching. 


I have to tell you that I'm exceedingly pleased 
with how the middle of the cushion turned out.
I said how important it was 
to make sure any vertical seams 
matched precisely?

Mmmmm. That was the voice of experience. 
First time round, I hadn't thought that one through. 


The seams weren't intended to match originally 
so I just went ahead and sewed. When I turned it the right way, 
I realise that although the intention was random placement, 
it looked as though the top row was 3mm off by mistake. 


So what could I do?
I took to it like a seam-ripper banshee 
and got unpicking.

Always the right choice.
{Even if it's a right old faff.}


If you make a mistake, 
even if it's unintentional like this, 
don't be shy of unpicking


It's the end product you want to like; 
it doesn't matter how you get there.


I also used another little trick to raise the look of this patchwork cushion 
and that's to cover the back seam with ribbon. 


If you look at high-end products, you'll see that seams are never visible. 
I find using ribbon or trim of some sort works well to achieve the same look.


Some of you asked which fabrics I've used. 
They're a mixture of Pret a Vivre, Vanessa Arbuthnott and Cabbages and Roses


Tomorrow I've got some 
veeeerrrrrrrry exciting news to share.

It's personal. 
But it applies to you too.

I hope. 
;-)





I'm linking with my favourite parties in the sidebar.

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





32 comments :

Comeca Jones said...

Too cute and red seems to be my color right now.

Sherri B. said...

This turned out great..love your fabric choices!!

Unknown said...

Pretty, pretty. Give us another hint :)

Courtenay@Creek Line House said...

Oh. I just love a good patchwork anything...

High Street Cottage said...

It's charming Sarah! As you know I'm all about red, and this new cushion simply celebrates the simplicity of being simply red! Ohhhhhh it's nearly as gorgeous as Mick Hucknall himself ;)
In all seriousness, patchwork is easy, yet, not so ,to make it look appealing to the eyes. You def have to choose the right fabric combos, and you've got a knack for it. Well done, young lady. xxx

At The Picket Fence said...

It is absolutely darling Sarah! Love the fabric pieces you used and how much it looks like "you". :-) I think your advice about sewing is so perfect too...I was intimidated by it to begin with but by taking it slowly I found that it was so much easier than I imagined. Don't ask me to make a dress but I can make pillows for sure! LOL!
Can't wait to hear your news you little teaser you! :-)
Vanessa

Deborah said...

Gorgeous cushion, I love it, especially love the colour and the fabrics you picked :)

Bee happy x
Have a delicious day!

coastal village life said...

Ooh, lovely cushion and you made it look so easy too! Great fabrics aswell. I never seem to gget that random patchwork but truly co-ordinated look! Well done you!
Intrigued by your news - will be tuning in tomorrow!
Michelle xx

chris said...

A seam ripper is a sewers best friend! It's a normal part of sewing, and you'd rather have it look right (or it would drive you batty!) Sewing can bring you so much joy. Dive in!

Susan T said...

What a beauty, I love the way you have finished it off with ribbon, if you bought something similar in a shop you would have a £60 price tag attached, reason enough to have a bash.

Magali @ The Little White House said...

Wow! It looks wonderful... I can only hope following carefully your instructions I will one day be able to make one as beautiful as yours!

GoldenValley50 said...

Beautifully matched seams Sarah! Not sure whether the back was an envelope or velcro/button opening or whether you filled it and then sewed all around? Nevertheless, a great result. I have been astounded (in recent times) at the prices people are charging for cushions. I saw a couple the other day on a blog store for $135 each and they were just plain fabric! Can't wait to hear your news. ;)Sharyne

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Magnifique but then I knew it would be. xx

Brandi said...

beautiful job, my lady. your seams are matched perfectly, impressive! great way to use up those fabric samples.

Ricki Treleaven said...

Sarah, I love the pillows, and they are in my favorite colors! :D

camp and cottage living said...

I love your reds! I have to say how 'tidy' a sewer you are!
I like the ribbon idea too!

Travel With Lulu said...

It looks fantastic! I love the ribbon idea - you are so clever :) XOL

Meera @ firstsense said...

Your cushion is gorgeous and perfect, sweetpea, and you are so encouraging in your tutorials.

Intrigued about your news... I'm staying tuned :-)

Meera xx

Drobiazgi domowe said...

Maybe it is "easy", as you said, but looks very, very beautiful. I'm thinking to do some patchwork pills, my first :)

greeting from Poland :)

Ada

Lizzy Bradbury said...

The cushion is such a lovely warm colour against the stone wall - so jealous!

Well done!

Connie @ Connie Nikiforoff Designs said...

Very pretty! I like red too! I've been sewing pillow covers for ages. And as an interior decorator, I love that I can make totally custom-made throw pillows for my clients. Sometimes just simply done, other times with embellishments. Some of the best ones I gave as gifts. I'm so glad I learned to sew as a little kid (curtains, tablecloths and runners, pillows, clothing too) It's saved me literally hundreds!

Unknown said...

Stunning cushion and I love the ribbon detail. Adore that brick red look. Laura Ashely used to do some dreamy patchwork cottons in the brick red range. I wonder, do they still? Another great post. xxx

Anonymous said...

cute as can be! Sometimes I really do wish I had a sewing machine ~ hand needle and thread takes for-ev-er! And I just adore this idea. You did a great job :) -diane

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Simply beautiful. That shade of red is one of my favorites. Nice work, Sarah.

Fondly,
Glenda

Paula Jo @ Home and Garden Decor said...

I just love the pillow, and you did a fantatic job. I love the patchwork and the red. Just lovely!!

On Crooked Creek said...

Sarah,
I am passionate about sewing...I HATE it! HOWEVER..you do drive a hard bargain, dear! Time will tell! Your pillows are gorgeous and in my color range...oh! how you do tempt me!
Fondly,
Pat

Magali @ The Little White House said...

I was re-reading your post (ultimate proof it's good!) because the weather ladiesssss on every channel we have said we'll have a rainy weekend so I thought practising on a sewing straight might be a could idea... And suddenly I noticed the background in your pictures. Is that a stone wall?

Jordan McCollum said...

Nice! I once found a whole bunch of samples in my colors marked down (the fabrics were discontinued). This is exactly what I wanted to do with them, and I have them all cut out . . . but it's been probably 3 years and they're not done. Hooray.

Mel's Designs from the Cabin said...

I sew all the time over at Mel's Designs from the Cabin...it so helps me get through the day and feel acomplished something....stop by my blog and post a comment about my projects too....I like your patch pillow...it's cute!
Mel

Always Nesting said...

Love that pillow in my signature RED! Awesome project.

Sonny G said...

wow, that looks great. you did a fab job and love those colors and patterns.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This is simply beautiful, Sarah. I love the muted tones.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10