Friday 2 September 2011

Modern Country Style Part 2: Family AND Style?

Hello there, cutiepips,

Remember I said that my personal Holy Grail is 
creating a stylish look that works for a family? 
{Easier said than done, I think.}

I've never yet found a book I love
that deals with decorating tips for:

muddy footprints,
orange juice on the walls,
crayons on the wall,
flooding the bathroom.....

Yes, I've been there.
I've had to kind of muddle my own way through...
and it's one of the BIIIIIIIIG reasons 
why I love Modern Country Style....


Step 2 Robust Elegance

Modern Country Style is all about using items that are beautiful AND practical - no spindly fragility allowed - and, even for that reason alone, it's a cracker of a look to work with. When choosing how to decorate, we've tried to create a home that is beautiful to look at but also practical for daily life. Yes, it's a family home but it needn't be dull because of that. Everything should work beautifully well: both for us aesthetically and for day-to-day living with four young children.


It's a look that can stand up easily to daily living - dogs clambering on the sofas and children rolling on the floor. With four little ones of our own, I want a house that looks as good when it's messy as when it's scrupulously tidy. Modern Country Style offers just that in spades: robust yet restful. 


It's all very well products looking fantastic in a magazine or on a shop shelf.....but I always try to imagine them looking a little more...errr....loved, before I take the plunge and buy.

I look for strong and sturdy gorgeousness...

And that's the only way it's going to work, my friends.
The only way.....



Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





21 comments :

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

I'm right there with you! Everything I buy has to be practical enough to withstand 4 kids and a dog. I like to call it the "lived-in," rustic look :)

Elz @House Pour said...

Sturdy furniture is the only kind that lasts for years too! Rob always wants us to buy rickety things and I always veto them since I want our stuff to last! We don't have children yet but I'd hate to be heartbroken if things were ruined down the road...

Unknown said...

I love this look because you can always imagine a big group of people over for lots of food and loads of laughing. People with fussy houses don't have fun parties. :)

Doda said...

how true! A home is for living in after all, and with little children- well - you know all about that!

chris said...

As moms we definitely have to think about how things will wear over time. Great tips~

Blondie's Journal said...

Sturdy, strong and washable!

XO,
Jane

Deborah said...

It all makes good sense...that coming from a girl whos dreaming of a white slip-covered Ikea couch in the very near future! Lol
But I've heard they are durable and washable...so Im going for the white :)
Love to you my very special friend xoxo

Deborah xoxoxoxo

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Sarah,

I have two boys, so I understand the need for sturdy & easy to clean decor!!! I'm still working on it...we just moved and I haven't yet even begun the "decorating phase!" Anyway, have a fantastic weekend!!!

XO's,
Jessie

Ricki Treleaven said...

LOL ditto what Jane said....sturdy, strong, and washable, and I want to add: bleachable! ;P

Great post!

Travel With Lulu said...

I couldnt agree more - we are two peas in a pod :) We have some of our furniture slipcovered and washable. And some leather, which seems to be indestructible. Can't wait to read more :) Have a great weekend, Sarah!

Magali @ The Little White House said...

A home is not a museum but a place to live in with family, friends, friends who have children and pets!

paola said...

I agree with every word!
Hugs
paola

melissa said...

Couldn't agree more! Melissa x

Unknown said...

Well it has to be preacticle as well as lovely :)
I have a little suprise for you over on my blog as well as a little give away to celebrate Finishing Touch Interiors 1st birthday :)

lisaroy said...

Kids or no kids, this is the only way I could possibly live! :)

Unknown said...

I'm with you too! Nothing too dainty would last a day here with two teens, piles of cousins and our dog. I am totally taken with your spool lamps.

Unknown said...

I would never want a home that wasn't comfortable enough for people to feel at ease in - and that includes children! Looks good, robust, doesn't mind a little bit of a battering - right up my street!

Hope you are having a fabulous weekend my dear Sarah! xxx

Chookie said...

With you! I have two sons, aged 10 and 6... Robustness is what I'm looking for. Things that are honest and study, with a nice heft to them.

Paula Jo @ Home and Garden Decor said...

I love a home that looks nice and clean, but also lived in. When I go shopping to buy something new, I think first do I really need it, and if it is something that I won't grow tired of. I try and change things like throw pillows, and wall decor for every season to give a room a new look.

Anonymous said...

Hi sugar booger!

I completely agree! I like the house to look nice but at the same time, I like function and comfort. Your home shows that you can have the best of both worlds. I think the one thing that I could never part with, is hardwoods. So nice with 3 kids and a dog. They look nice and they are easier to maintain than carpet. Now if I could only find a way to throw the couch in the wash :) Hope you have a wonderful coming week! xxxx

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Strong and sturdy gorgeousness . . . sound like my husband. (He is sweet, too.)

Fondly,
Glenda

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10