Friday 20 April 2012

Designing Our Fitted Cupboards Part 1

What are the areas worth investing in when renovating? Storage has to be up there somewhere on your list. Don't you agree? It's one of the areas that's totally worth paying for: beautiful, good quality storage will last you a lifetime....and beyond.  I always think that you could have the most beautiful things in the world but if they're covered in clutter then the effect is lost.

I love the skirting continued around the base...
Clutter is the enemy of gorgeous rooms....

Doors set into cupboards always spell quality to me.
...so sorting out the fitted cupboards had to be a priority.
There's a lot of stuff to store!


After a good, long browse around, I decided that Shaker style cupboards, painted white, were the way I wanted to go with this room

Gorgeous panelling.
We were going to need a lot of cupboards!

I love the way this fits into an existing alcove. 
Our Edwardian house has had many of it's features removed over the years so it felt right to be putting something like this back into the house. Even though they won't be original, they will be in keeping. 

I'm loving the extra top row of cupboards for all those extra bits and bobs...
I found lots of inspiration pictures but it was actually pretty hard to find a picture of exactly what I wanted so I pieced together the bits I liked from a hotch-potch of different photos. Although this was more work, it did give me the chance to design our cupboards more or less from scratch, rather than trying to squeeze someone else's design into our space, which never looks great, does it?

And when I say that it was work, between you and me, that's not entirely accurate because it's this bit, the designing things just for us, that I love!

Which is your favourite?

Next time, I'll be posting up all the details, good and bad....


Images via: Peter Henderson, Kate Madison, Mark Wilkinson, Peter Henderson, Pics Digger

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





25 comments :

Debra @ Life in a 320 square foot home said...

I love them ALL! Can't wait to see it!

Debra

ANNE said...

I love them all, but the second photo is my favourite. Love how time worn it looks. Beautiful!

Allie said...

I like the first two the best. I wish I had them in my own home! Great post, always love to visit and see what you are up to. -Al

Anonymous said...

Oh I have to keep this post! Thanks for sharing and I liked the last ones - all the way up to the ceiling!

Unknown said...

Oh, I love the second ones too C:

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Mmmmmm,the first pic and the one in the alcove are my faves. Can't wait to see yours! xx

Cindy said...

I love all of them, but the last one looks original to an old house and has tons of storage space.
Hugs, Cindy

ZoeB said...

You star. I also live in an Edwardian house and have just arranged for a carpenter/ joiner to come and quote for some built in cupboards . I have some examples and now with your help I have loads more! Thank you. Hopefully all my husbands Bass gear will soon be behind closed doors.

Shawna said...

I love Shaker style cupboards too and these are all gorgeous.

Stephanie said...

I love the one in the alcove...so simple and pretty. And I love that you could put old hat boxes or antique suitcases on top for a little color. Or quilts...it's a great little shelf!

LindyLouMac said...

You can never have too much storage, especially with a large family, I imagine purpose built as best for your needs.

Jenni said...

Hello Sarah! I hope you are having a good day! :)

How lovely that you are restoring your home to the way it was when first made, I am sure the work will be so worth it! Every one of these designs are beautiful, but my personal favorite is the very first picture! But I am excited to see what you came up with for your own cupboards...I KNOW they are going to be so pretty! :)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

Blessings and hugs,
Jenni

Ricki Treleaven said...

I like the ones that look like Martin Moore ones....too pretty! I like the one in the alcove, too.

xo,
RJ

Susan T said...

I would love any of them, we have far too little storage in this house. To be able to banish all the crud that a modern home is heir to, behind closed doors would be fab. I can't wait for the finished pictures.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I wouldn't know which one to choose, but a few of them are going to my inspiration file if you don't mind... The clothes situation in my bedroom will have to be taken care of one day or an other! I like the idea of "bringing back" features that probably used to be in the house!

Anna at the Doll House said...

Hello Sarah
In an Edwardian house, you are bound to have high ceilings, so, it is a really good idea to fit cupboards in full-height. That extra storage is a real bonus and makes economic sense.

I also saw in your previous post that you have split one bedroom into two smaller ones. We did this too in the Doll House, and we now have plenty of room for guests.

Anna

toko baju muslim online murah said...

Thank you for posting this. It’s exactly what I was looking for!

SImple and Serene Living said...

I love Shaker style. Can't wait ti see yours. :)

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Oh yes ... those British "bits and bobs" ... such a useful expression.

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Okay so the third one just made me smile....love the handles too...okay, yes I am still smiling. Thanks for that.

Unknown said...

oh i love all of them ,,,, my favorite is third one ,,, the color combination is amazing and outstanding :)

well done ...

http://www.fittedbedrooms.co.uk/

Viba Interiors said...

Your Blog is excellent and detailed. Thanks for sharing this information. Viba interiors is a renowned name in the surrey region for bespoke kitchen and Fitted Wardrobes. Our client has tested our work over the last 15 year which has given us ample experience in this field. More updates to visit us:-Fitted Wardrobes UK 

UnumDesign London said...

I was scared while deciding the closet for my room until I reached out to this blog. There are hundreds of design options plus a brief on the creativities that one can install in the closet too. Well, now I am satisfied with the finalized design and will suggest you all to give it a try. Here you will surely get many ideas.


Bespoke Fitted Furniture London | Custom Wardrobes London | Fitted Wardrobes London | Built In Wardrobes Design | Walk In Wardrobes | Design Fitted Wardrobes | Luxury Wardrobes London | Luxury Fitted Wardrobes| Built In Wardrobes

ESLAM UWK said...

best wardrobes designThe interior designers also paid a lot of attention to the design of the interior cupboard so that the cupboard contains a lot of shelves and

Kaushal Kumar said...

Thanks for sharing helpful information with details on modern fitted wardrobes .

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10