Wednesday 25 April 2012

Designing Our Fitted Cupboards Part 2


With our fifth baby on the way, we're always looking for ways to improve storage, particularly in our current phase of having to store what feels like a bazillion boxes of clothes between children using them.  When I was looking at the existing fitted cupboards in this bedroom, it suddenly occurred to me that there might be extra space above the lower cupboard that wasn't being used. A secret hole!! See what I mean?....


And it turned out I was right! Yeeeah! Free space! One of the things that bothered me about the existing cupboards is the way they were so mismatched. One way up high and the other mid-height. Odd. This extra secret space gave us some leeway to be able to even the whole space out.

We altered the cupboard plans to include another double cupboard above the existing lower space, and fiddled about with heights to bring both sets of doors to the same height.


The next step was working out how to bring in period details again. 
{These were NOT the original cupboard doors so no guilt about ripping them out.}

Four words: 
architraves, 
cupboard style,
handles, 
hinges...

{Okay, that's five but read on to see what I mean...}


We changed the architrave surrounding the cupboards to match the main door to the room.


I love Shaker style cupboard doors, and chose beading to compliment the beading on the main door (more on that to come!!). 


The handles are now chunky, matt-glazed wood. 
Perfect for little dimpled hands!


Rather than using kitchen-cupboard type hinges, which ends up with doors shutting onto the existing frame, I prefer to use hinges that ensure the doors fit within a frame for a more bespoke look. I love these brass hinges with silver detailing. Yum!


See how I've lopped off the bottom of the cupboards from these photos? That's to keep the floor hidden from your all-seeing eyes...
but not for long...

Yup, next up:
 FLOORING !!

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





23 comments :

chris said...

What fun to find that extra space! What were the previous owners thinking?? I love the style of the cabs with creamy white paint. Such an improvement!

Courtenay@Creek Line House said...

What? You mean you didn't keep that lovely reddy purply carpet?

Tammy said...

That was a weird set up the previous owners designed. It looks much better now. I can't wait to see the rest.

Daydream Living said...

Hi Sarah,
First, how do you stay so gorgeous thin after four kids? Now onto your fifth, is there something I've missed after giving birth to only two? You always look good girl!
And very clever to match the doors this way, total different look now, well done! And the gold-silver detail is small yet that what makes a good door right?
I'm enjoying reading about this room process, take care honey,
Maureen

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

That looks great Sarah! I like the way you did the hinges :) I also can't wait to see the floors ♥

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Love the doors. Looks perfect.

Shawna said...

It's looking fantastic!

Jo said...

Beautiful cupboards! I love that you found the extra hidden space! I did the same last year when I was painting our living room. Now we have an extra little storage space that I like to call a "boot cupboard" a la Jane of Lantern Hill, but it really just holds the kids' craft stuff. It still needs to be painted and I need to figure out the door though. I'm not a carpenter, I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll get it figured out eventually ;-)

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

did you use smoke and mirrors on this project? BEcause it looks to me like the doors are the same size now, (the new top doors and the ones out on the left there)
The trim around the left handed set ...fools the eye somehow. It also looks like you may have gotten shorter 'lower doors'...
My mind is jumbled from staring at your fabulous cupboards!
They looks so uniformly matched...but yet, it seems a mere illusion...mystical even!

-- I LIKE 'EM!

Pat

Susan T said...

A huge improvement. What is the colour paint you have used?, I could do with painting our awful pine bedroom furniture in that.

Seaweed and Raine said...

Brilliant! Looks SO much better. Give yourself a pamper session - you deserve it! :)

Deborah said...

Wow, it looks so much better, clever you! did you find any treasures in your secret cupboard I wonder or just air?!!
Hope you are keeping well and are having a wonderful week sweetie

Bee happy x
Have a delicious day!

beachhutcook said...

Such a difference, they look gorgeous.

Cindy said...

Beautiful, what you have done looks perfectly wonderful.
Hugs, Cindy

Veronica Roth said...

Fantastic job! You're a clever cookie!

Cathy (aka Catherine) and Bill (aka William) said...

Love the cupboards... aren't you a clever missy finding that secret space! We live in a little old house (emphasis on 'little') and I would be beside myself with joy if I found a little gift of another cupboard!! Perhaps it's time to search behind/above some of those ol' cupboard doors we have... hmmm...

Sarah, I just have to ask - how long did it take you to do all of that?

Love reading you!
Bless
Cath Norrie

On Crooked Creek said...

Sarah,
Looks as if you've created a beautiful solution to your storage problems!!! Shows what a little creativity and will power can accomplish. Thank you for encouraging all of us to look for 'hidden stroage' solutions for our own homes!
Fondly,
Pat

Richella Parham said...

Your cupboards look beautiful now! Good job!

And can I just say that, Anglophile that I am, I love that you used the word "bespoke" in a post?

By the way, my 18-year-old inherited his mother's tastes. He's 6'8", so he's hard to fit in clothing. He loves the fact that his dad and I gave him a bespoke blazer before he went to university. It's not Savile Row, but it'll do! :)

Paula said...

Brilliantly done - it looks fab! What are you planning on putting on the floor? can't wait to see end result. Also - your FIFTH child! And here was I thinking I'd done well on 3 - good for you - you really are a Superwoman! x

Le said...

love that work you have done - very clever :) le xox

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Hey there sweetie! Sorry I haven't been around lately. I've been buried in work and haven't had as much time to go visiting. I just caught up on a bunch of your posts.

This cupboard is lovely! Storage is so needed in our house. I'm putting in a craft room, and almost ready to start building the cupboards. Then it's on to the office for some wall to wall storage!

You're looking well...love that baby tummy. Take care of you!

{{hugs}}
Deborah

Unknown said...

What a beautiful room. My daughter would love this kind of room as she is entering her first year of University. This room would go perfect with flooring by deca design flooring I think.

Thank you for sharing this
Jeremy

Kraft Kitchen Furnitures said...

Your blog is very informative and great because that it contains nice information. please keep sharing this information with us. If your are looking for these best Kraft Fitted Wardrobe services. Our company provides the best services in United Kingdom.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10