Friday 28 June 2013

Our Dining Room Reveal!

Welcome to the full reveal of our 
Modern Country Dining Room!



Let's start right back at the beginning for a moment to how the room looked when we first were shown around our house....



See that yucky fireplace in the picture below? 
That was mine. 
Oh, yes, it was.



The fireplace in our dining room was attached directly to the wall with an orange varnished-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life pine fire surround. 



In fact, that goes for all the wood in the room.
Of which there was plenty.

So much, so wrong!
What's a girl to do? 



Aaaaaah! That's better.
At some point in the future, we'll tackle the kitchen and dining room head-on by ripping out and starting again so this was very much a makeover, rather than a full renovation.


I liked the existing grey stone hearth 
so we had the plinths lowered to sit on the stone. 
A smidgen of soft-industrial chic never goes amiss in my book.



I didn't want any orange pine so we painted all the woodwork Dulux White gloss. Nice and crisp against the lush new wall colour, Gregory's Den by Earthborn - a gorgeous Modern Country shade.



The wall between the wood and the fireplace caused endless discussions with, errrr...... me, myself and I. 
{Yes, you read that right.}



The three of us had fascinating debates.
 Should it be the greyish colour of the walls? 
Or white to match the mantelpiece? 
Or...or.... 



*head explodes*



I decided on 
matte black. 
And, you know what?
I LOVE IT!!



When we set out with this room, we knew we wanted a flow-through feel between the kitchen and the dining room, and I'm thrilled with the way the two rooms work together now.



As this is a room that we may structurally alter in the future 
we were keen not to do work that we would 
then have to undo in the long term.



Often, that can mean ending up compromising 
but in this case it was a very 
Modern Country Style workable solution 
and rather gorgeous too, if I may say so. 



Hurrah for paint!!

So, there you have it:
The full Before and After of our 
Modern Country Dining Room!

{If you have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer them by email,
in the comments, or over on Modern Country Style's Facebook page.}


Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





18 comments :

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah, after pottering about in my 'garden' I am now relaxing and doing a bit of blogging...lovely post, I actually did a dining room post earlier this week. It's amazing how paint can transform a room or a piece of furniture, love your colour scheme and that fireplace! Have a lovely weekend! Sharon x

Ricki Treleaven said...

Your dining room is lovely! You must be so pleased with it. I like the matt black, too!

Ricki Treleaven said...

Oops! Make that "matte" black! ;P

Lorrie said...

It's really lovely. All that white paint brightened things up wonderfully.

chris said...

All that white painted wood looks divine. Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

absolutely gorgeous, it honestly looks like a different house completely. but totally you!

Greta said...

GORGEOUS Sarah!!!!! The paint on the wall with what you did with the fireplace look amazing. And I love how you make every room in your house have the same lovely feel. Thanks for sharing this! :D

Jo said...

Gorgeous! I love the matte black around the fireplace. Great choice!

Cindy said...

It's very pretty, Sara, simple and pretty.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I think it looks gorgeous. I must admit...I had to google "plinths" and re-read the section about the fireplace and wall surround beneath the mantel...
But I'm there with you now...on the same page and love your simple and elegant modern country dining room!
Now... if you only had an eat in kitchen that you could redecorate and give this girls a few pointers on how to make it a little more cohesive! (with itself as it is 1 room functioning as 2 and with the other rooms in the house)

...loving your inspiration, Pat

Shelly Wildman said...

I love it, Sarah! So warm and inviting. And that mirror--wow!

Emma Kate at Paint and Style said...

Oh yeah, right choice on that bit of wall. It looks like a cast iron suround now. Love the paint colour on the walls. I have my dining room next on the agenda...lots of arguments in my head at the moment! x

bj said...

Oh, yes....we are all totally in luv forever with PAINT...:)
Your room looks marvelous...I love all the whites...your fireplace is beautiful now.

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

WoWZA girl...that is a makeover for sure. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I'm so pleased I found your wonderful blog!
Tell me - did you take the varnish off your orange pine mantelpiece before painting it with the Dulux paint - the transformation is totally admirable!
Looking forward to catching up with more of your inspiration soon -
Emma :-)

Home Stars said...

What a beautiful transformation. It is so elegant, I love it!

Furniture Store Denver
Kitchen Cabinets Parker

Unknown said...

What an amazing job you did, it's just beautiful! So fresh and clean!

North East Factory Direct
Cleveland Dining Room Furniture

Blogger said...

Get your access to 16,000 woodworking plans.

Teds Woodworking has over 16,000 woodworking blueprints with STEP-BY-STEP instructions, drawings and diagrams to make all of the projects simple and easy...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10