Wednesday 29 June 2011

Belgian Style: Texture


So, let's see. Where were we before we were so rudely interrupted by....
errrr......oh, yes, by me.
* blush*

Belgian Style: Make It Yours Part 3
Sigh.
So beautiful. So dreamy.
So impractical.

There.
I said it.

But there's so much that I *do* love.
So my question when looking at these gorgeous images is this:
How can I get that look to work for me 
and Mr Modern Country
and our four littlies?


They'd have those silvered baubles down in a flash, let me tell you.
Glass baubles are not on my list of 
'Things I Must Let My Children Play With'.

However, I am a huge fan of subdued palettes in interiors.
Just like these.
Though a little teensy bit more colour 
would work better for me in our home.

But what I adore about these pictures is the way the lack of colour is completely compensated by the huge range of delicious textures.
Let's take a closer look at all that
scrumdiddlyumptiousness, shall we?

The cool-to-the-touch floor tiles, the rough wooden benches, the mirrored orb, the soft gleam of the antique mirrors, the unpainted walls, the soft cushions, the shine of the chandelier drops, the smoothness of the glass candlesticks, the carved fireplace, the matte smoothness of the linen tablecloth, 
the old bistro chairs in the corner.

And as if that wasn't enough.... 
as if the point needed pushing home any further....
a large gnarled branch hung with mercurised glass baubles.

Point made, I think.

There's more than one way to grab my visual interest.
And texture ranks pretty darn high on that list.

Coming up soon, I'll share how
 I've used texture 
in our master bedroom 
to make it a romantic haven. 
Aaaaaaah! 





Image via: Chateau de Mossac

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





20 comments :

Anonymous said...

Well, there must be a first for everything... I think I'm the first to see your post this morning :) I love the use of texture in this room. Seems Belgian style primarily focuses on texture and using subdued colors to focus your eye on the design. I think this dining room would do in a pinch, haha!
Hope your day is a happy one!
Big xxx"s

Unknown said...

If you can figure out how to keep little fingers off of decorative treats then please let me know :)

I am having problems keeping fingers off of everything.

Jen said...

This is so timely for me! I have alway filled my house with colors--lots of them--but am in the process of decorating our country/mountain house and have really been inspired by Belgian decor. The way you break it down is helpful and inspiring. Thank you!

Karena said...

I do love this style of decor, however I need to have pops of color going on, I can see cobalt blue and white, to crisp it up a bit or a large work of abstract art!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Come and join my fashionable Giveaway from The Shabby Apple!

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Yes, and the giant bauble on the floor, what's that all about?

Looking forward to the texture in your bedroom post. xx

Jill said...

Sarah, I just had to have a look at that most beautiful chateau,(website) I simply adore this type of room, but like you it just needs a bit more colour, but then they have the sun to brighten up their rooms!!have a lovely evening.
Jillxx

Young Adventures... said...

LOVE this look Sarah! I hear what you are saying about the children though. You make some sort of fabric ornaments and use colors in the palette. I could see some lush velvet fabric with silver ribbon. You are such a talented seamstress I'm sure you could come up with something gorgeous!

Susan T said...

Hmm Littlies! my 18 year old son could wreck that room in a trice, Gorgeous as it is it seems rather feminine. I think the men in the family would feel as if they needed to be on their best behaviour in that room.

Nat at Made in Home said...

I love this look. Not at all for my house, but if someone wanted to buy me a chateau then it would be Belgian style all the way!

Erin S. said...

I love all the contrasting texture, too. Those baubles would be toast. I've been buying the plastic ones for a few years so I can have shiny things on my tree without constantly wanting to strangle my sweet kiddos all Christmastime :).

Unknown said...

Love your ability to break down this style so well! For me a subdued pallete works well....no bright colours or patterns....too busy for me and I tend to get sick of them too quickly!
xox Kerry

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Belgian style? I LOVE YOU!
Won't let your little pips play with glass? You're just mean!
;)
Hurry up and show us your Master Bedroom!
I wanna see! I wanna see!

Elaine said...

I had never even heard of Belgian Style until I read your blog. Now I know I like it. It's so calming, just what we all need.

The Paper Mulberry - Glenda Steel said...

Ohh this is my all time favourite styling and colour palette!!!! The has to be the ultimate in French Chateaux, truly divine! I have been so inspired by this look for my own home and adore the soft natural tones that let the texture and history shine through. Hugs from a sunny Lincolnshire - Glenda xxx

The Paper Mulberry - Glenda Steel said...

Oh and as for making the colours work with the little people, have everything washable and that looks fabulous when it's NOT ironed! Rustic linen looks better and better when washed and crumpled don't you think? We have pure white sofas and a muddy pawed cat - throws in cocoa brown (i.e. mud colour!) are invaluable and the cotton slip covers on the sofas are machine washable, non-iron-delicious-when-crumpled too (thank you Ikea)! As for the baubles on branches - make them tall branches and pop baubles at the top! Where there's design there's a way!!! Hugs - Glenda xxx

Meine Dinge Franka said...

Wonderful style!
I like these natural shades very much!

Salut!
Franka

Privet and Holly said...

Such a serene
pallet; makes me
want to chuck my
colored upholstery
and seriously go
for muted...Letting
pillows add a color
punch if the mood
strikes. I'm so
PINNING this pic; it's
inspiring....as are
YOU, my friend!
xx Suzanne

michele said...

loving this room in the chateau but somehow cannot picture my teens at the table. realized that texture is a much more challenging layer to add when you live in new construction like i do. in a chateau, it's everywhere: stone, crumbling walls, peeling surfaces, right?

love.

michele

Catherine said...

Hey gorgeous girl!! How pretty is this palette? I am in happy bunches of love with this dining room...but like you I just can't picture myself with the kids there too.... holiday pad perhaps??

bunches of hugs

Cath
xx

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I can't wait to see your bedroom. You are so sweetly generous and hospitable to share your home with us.

Fondly,
Glenda

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10