Thursday 2 June 2011

Home-Made Vintage: Box File

In Which I Am Once Again Let Loose

Remember my book review of Hand Made Vintage
by Cabbages and Roses' Christina Strutt?
Remember I said I was going to make a couple of the
projects from in there to put it through it's paces?
Here's the bit I love.
The bit where I put the book I reviewed,
through the wringer.


As you know,
books can so easily lure you in,
all seductive and saucy,
but I want to know is there substance
behind the sirenic sweetness?

Can it rock the rumba?
Or will it fudge the foxtrot?


These are some of life's big questions, I know,
 and I'm prepared to take them on on your behalf.
In the name of human decency, you understand.
{I know what you're thinking: I'm nothing but a giver.....}

And here's the thing.
The only way a book can be reeeeeeeeeally
tested thoroughly is by actually
making the projects in the book.
Agreed?

So my second project for your viewing pleasure is this:


A delicious fabric-covered box file.
To have my very own would be
scaling the dizzy heights of
sophistication in my eyes.


So my first step, as always, 
was to pick out the fabrics I wanted to use. 

 And, oh me, oh my,
let me pick out
some of their
g o r g e o u s
linens.

Um. Yes, pleeeeeease!
I chose the utterly romantic 


Perfect for Modern Country Style.

Now let's get down to the nitty-gritty.
How did the making of the box file go?

 
Step 1: The Measuring
All measuring was simple because of its boxy shape.
If you want to increase your crafty-confidence and get to grips with textiles,
without venturing down the sewing path then this project is for you.


Step 2: Cutting out the pieces.
There was, mercifully, no photocopying to 200% for this project. I bought a box file and use its measurements to cut out the required fabric. 


Step 2: Gluing
Getting spray adhesive in your eye stings like billy-o.
Ummmm, yeah.
But still, that stuff is magic, man.
Spray adhesive is officially my new best friend.

  
Step 3: The ribbon
I picked out some pretty blue-grey ribbon, with cream stitching to tie in with the cream of the fabric. Both the ribbon and the Raspberry French Toile have a beautiful Modern Country feel - gorgeous without being fussy.

  
Step 4: Adding the Mount
I wouldn't have thought of doing this but it's details like this that bring Home-Made Vintage to the top of my crafting list.
It takes the look from provincial to pro.


The verdict.....
Having my own box file covered with such
lusciousness makes me feel like a
Domestic Goddess
every time I set my eyes on it.
Surprisingly easy to produce
a really fabulous end product.

Now, what to store in my snazzy new box file?
I'm thinking French.
I'm thinking antique.


Boogie on by on Friday and see what I mean...  



Images 4 and 5 Cabbages and Roses, otherwise mine.

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





32 comments :

Ann said...

It is such a gorgeous project...
I love boxes and I love fabrics,
but I'm too scared to try it out...
the gluing and cutting intimidates me a little.

Brandi said...

I love it!! It's so adorable!

Anonymous said...

Your box looks really great! I love the fabric and that was the perfect ribbon for it - great job!

Cindy said...

Oh my, how beautiful is that?!?! Sarah, I am so impressed with your abilities and with that sweet book, too.
I could see a stack of three of those in different sizes, yes!
Hugs, Cindy

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with how it turned out...it so looks straight out of the book! I love the fabric and the matching ribbon ... I'd love to have it sitting around my own house. It's fun when the projects are actually do-able.
Great job, girl! :)

It's me said...

Great things.....lovely day.....xxx...

michele said...

great job, Sarah!

truth be told it was tough to keep scrolling down when that grey/white wallpaper (or fabric?) on the walls in the C&R image stopped me silly in my tracks. omg. just kill me in the face i love it.

keep gettin down wit yer bad cabbages self.


michele

Life love, clutter and other beautiful things. said...

Wow. What a gorgeous box. Great job. Your choice of fabric and ribbon co,ours are beautiful xox

Young Adventures... said...

Sarah you are so talented. The box is beautiful I absolutely love it!!

michelle said...

Oh MY GOODNeSS my girl! You are so amazing my dear, is there anything that cannot do? I don't think so. :) This is the prettiest little box and I adore the linen that you chose. Can't wait to see what more you have up that talented little sleeve of yours. :)
XOXO

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I have not done any sort of crafty thing in years . . . and this lovely organized post makes me want to get the old craft skills going again. Really fun boxes, Sarah. You are a great teacher.

Fondly,
Glenda

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh that fabric is sooooo yummy Sarah! I am such a sucker for toile and it was absolutely the perfect choice for your gorgeous fabric box. It looks just lovely and you did a great job!
Vanessa

High Street Cottage said...

Sarah, this is gorrrrrrrrrrgeous!!!
Love the fabric and ribbon choice. I used to cover hat boxes in the same way, with pretty fabric, and my friends always wanted me to do them for their rooms etc. Yours is simply beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Sarah Sarah!

Cabbages and Roses really has scrumptious fabrics! Just love your fabric and ribbon choices. Nothing prettier than rose and gray together. I would definitely need your help on this... my cutting and gluing skills are limited. You make it look so easy :) Cute cute!
~Michelle
xoxo

Susan T said...

You are such a clever lady. What a beautiful box.

You have been tagged! see my post today.

Robynne's Nest said...

Lovely choice of fabric Sarah and the grey gross-grain ribbon really sets it off. Well done...again...you clever sew and sew!! Robx

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

Sarah,
What a great job!!
I LOVE that fabric!!!!

bikim said...

love the flower wallpaper!!!!!!!! gorgeous!
your boxes are lovely and perfect to have around the house!
lovely your photos!
****
happy weekend,
Rosa

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

You little domestic goddess you! Way cute and creative!

Privet and Holly said...

The hardest thing
for me would be
finding a plain
file box like this.
You've made the rest
seem easy : ) LOVE
the fabric and ribbon
choices, Sarah!
xx Suzanne

Natasha in Oz said...

You did a wonderful job...you are so clever!

I really must get that book...it looks so inspirational and beautiful!

Best wishes always,
Natasha.

Sweet Young Journey said...

Oh my, oh me, i love it!
I need to add that book to my collection!
Cheryl

Jenni said...

Sarah, your box file is gorgeous! The fabric is beautiful, and was such a great choice for the box. I so much love all of the pictures you showed, too! :) And I am glad to see that the book is holding up under all this pressure ;) because after seeing your post on this book the last time, I decided to buy it. Now I am for sure. Tonight. :)

So how are you doing today? I hope you have a great weekend! :)

Hugs,
Jenni

Travel With Lulu said...

Beautiful - You go girl! What's next - luggage?! I'd love a weekender bag :) XOL

Unknown said...

What a pretty box i love what you have done such a lovely project & the fabric is gorgeous

Amy Chalmers said...

just lovely! I might have to try that myself!

Em from Faded White Linen said...

You are a clever girl hey! Have been absent for a while with these silly blog comment problems but finally back on track! That fabric is scrumdillumptious hey! xx

PeggMackoDesigns said...

Um, If I didn't like you so much I would hate you right now. You have that very beautiful box and the book in which to get the directions (sigh). I guess I might just have to find that book somewhere here in the US.

Pegg

Holly Lefevre said...

I think I must buy that book! Your boxes are gorgeous...LOVE the fabric and that sweet ribbon! Miss you!

Unknown said...

Very pretty. Thanks for linking with Air Your Laundry Friday! ~Jami

shari said...

Sarah ~ fab job with that memento box!!! Love the fabric you chose. Must've been a difficult decision! I'm fond of red myself.... so the box looks perfect!

Unihoof said...

Beige Vase Combo

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10