Thursday 7 October 2010

Modern Country Baby's Corner



In these inspiration posts, I'm trying to choose photos that you could realistically live with, not what just looks good on the page. There's a WORLD of difference between a glossy magazine photo and what's pleasing to the naked (did that catch your attention?)  eye (especially my picky naked eye!), day-in-day-out. 

When you're around the house for much of each day, you want that 'Oooh!' moment to last......not just to when you turn the page but to next month and next year. I really hope these pictures help to provide that for you.

Doesn't it look like the yummiest reading corner? All cosy but still with natural light streaming in. Can't you just imagine snuggling up on that chair with a freshly bathed baby for the bedtime feed? I can almost smell that talcum powder.....

So......the million dollar question.........what makes this picture Modern Country?

Here's my list......
  • The tight colour palette: here, there's beige, charcoal - especially the charcoal; you wouldn't see that in a country scheme - and white. I love carefully constructed colour choices.  I want a bit of contrast in my rooms so I don't much like monochrome palettes on the whole. I think I'd tire of them. How do you feel? Do you like the white on white on white look that's very popular now?
  • The use of country furnishings with a Modern twist: the chair upholstered in a contemporary floral, the lampshade has a charcoal border.
  • The carefully chosen toys. They're old. They're loved. They're played with........

Just like a favourite room should be. :-)

{Is it working for you?}

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





9 comments :

Holly said...

It's a very pretty room, although for practicality I would recommend a chair with arms for a nursery. You need some support for your own arms when you're holding a baby.
About a year ago I really fell in love with the white on white look. I still think it looks pretty, but it's not what I want in my home.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I know you're right about the arms on the chair for feeding but I must admit to feeding on any old chair after a while, although I did start with good intentions, by numbers three and four. No doubt my back will pay for it in the future!!

I love the look of white on white too.....I've just not yet walked into a real-life home that I love it in.

michelle said...

Very pretty indeed! I wish I had this little space when my kids were babies because you are right, I loved snuggling up right after a bath and rocking them or reading to them.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Me too, Michelle!

It's the kind of space that needsto be set up probably *before* the baby is born because arranging this would not be high on my list of priorities with a teeny tiny one. I go into hibernation with a newborm!!

Now you've got me feeling broody! :-)

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Love the chair - beautiful fabric. Mind you I enjoyed having a rocking chair when my daughter was little - that's nicely relaxing.

Tricia said...

Charming...I love the dresser :)

Marisa said...

I love that charcoal! It's amazing to me how charcoal can feel cool and warm at the same time. :)

Meaghan said...

Love it! Charcoal is definitely becoming the new neutral.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment. I can't wait to see the lamps you come up with!

Anonymous said...

It's definitely working for me! I love the charcoal and the dresser. I completely agree with you about white on white, I love it in magazines and books but I'd never have it in my home, not very practical!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10