Friday 29 October 2010

Bedside Table Makeover

Farrow and Ball Pigeon and Farrow and Ball Light Blue

 Our bedside table was a toughie. It was one of those pieces of furniture that I had such an exact picture of what I wanted that it was never going to materialise without a bit of magic. Do you know what I mean?

It had to match what I already loved  in the room. Not matchy-matchy (I didn't want mahogany, for example; I thought that would look to 'heavy' and formal) but it had to be part of the attic-chic look.

It needed to be low. I had the bedside lamp all ready to go on it (Note to self: don't buy the bedside light before you have the table in place....). It's a tall mahogany candle-stick lamp. I love it but it has to fit under the slopey ceiling.....so the table needed to be LOOOOOOW.

Plus I actually like lower tables. I like to be able to see what's on them without having to lift my head from my pillow.

Lazy? Me? Errr....yes....

This was one of those pieces that had me looking....and looking.... and looking.....

Nothing.

Not. A. Thing.

Then inspiration struck (about time too, if you don't mind me saying...). I should buy one in the size I wanted and paint it! Problem-solved....

I started off with one similar to this:



I loved the design - ticks all the boxes - but obviously not the pine colour.

Pine and mahogany TOGETHER?

Big N.O..

Farrow and Ball Pigeon and Farrow and Ball Light Blue

So.....I decided to bite the bullet and get the paint brushes out!

Farrow and Ball Pigeon
 
This was my very first furniture makeover. I was really nervous. Far too nervous to think of picking up my camera, I realised after the deed was done!
 
 (sorry)
 
Farrow and Ball Pigeon and Farrow and Ball Light Blue paint
 
It needed stripping to get the waxed finish off - this was just a case of brushing the stripper on and then wiping off after ten minutes - sanding and priming (leave to dry...) and sanding and painting  (leave to dry...) and sanding and painting on the final coat.

Not rocket science but I think it's the thinking up of the idea that counts.... :-)

The sanding between coats is so important. It makes a huge difference to the quality of the end finish.

No little bumps.

Farrow and Ball Pigeon painted furniture

What a palaver! But it gave me JUST what I was looking for. We used Farrow and Ball Pigeon, which I LOVE!

Farrow and Ball Pigeon paint
The quality of Farrow and Ball paint colours is incredible. Deep and intese yet chalky and subtle.
Mmmmmm....

Farrow and Ball Pigeon satin paint

I love the industrial feel to the new handles.

We took the old ones off and screwed these ones on in their place, after filling in the old holes, before we painted.

Farrow and Ball Pigeon brass cup handles

As well as screwing them in, I glued them down with Gorilla Glue to allow for pulling them open at awkward angles. I wanted a super-strong finish.

 Even King Kong couldn't get these babies off now.


I love the roomy drawers: perfect for all my magazines and books and hair clips and letters..... oh, and Mr Modern Country has part of one drawer.

He doesn't have many hair clips, you see...

It's got a good sized-top for putting lovely things on.


Here's the foolishly-pre-bought-but still-very-lovely-candlestick lamp.

Farrow and Ball Pigeon and Farrow and Ball Light Blue paint

All that faffing about with paintbrushes was worth it in the end.

*Sigh*

Farrow and Ball Pigeon and Farrow and Ball Light Blue paint

Do you know this book: Blogging For Bliss? It's FAB! I'm going to do a book review on Monday.

I think you'll LOVE it!

Farrow and Ball Pigeon and Farrow and Ball Light Blue paint 

I want to say a BIG thank you to Brenda at Cozy Little Housee for giving me a lift on her very comfy Welcome Wagon.

This how she describes Modern Country Style:

Modern Country Style is Sarah's blog. She lives in the United Kingdom. Her blog is all about renovating her Edwardian home. Naturally, she loves Modern Country style! She has a keen interest in pared-back interiors,  infused with the warmth of country. Gentle grays, accents of red, and a hint of industrial.

Isn't that just spot-on? If I could make up how I'd like my style to be described that would be it!!

Thank you!

Farrow and Ball Pigeon and Farrow and Ball Light Blue bedroom paint

Did I say, I LOVE this colour?

Farrow and Ball Pigeon and Farrow and Ball Light Blue bedroom paint

The colour was the most important thing to get right. I am a crazy lady when it comes to paint choice.

I just can't rest until I've found the P.E.R.F.E.C.T colour.

The colour I chose might not be perfect for everyone - in fact, I rather hope it isn't - but it's COMPLETELY my cup of tea.

Farrow and Ball Pigeon and Farrow and Ball Light Blue Country bedroom

I wanted it to go perfectly with the wall colour. I spent aaaaages looking at paint samples.

Many happy hours....

Farrow and Ball Pigeon and Farrow and Ball Light Blue bedroom paint

It's one of those colours I can just staaaaaaaare at for ages.

Paint for bedroom Farrow and Ball Pigeon and Farrow and Ball Light Blue


  What do you think?

Perfect paint colour color for bedroom Farrow and Ball Pigeon and Farrow and Ball Light Blue

Paint Case Study coming right up......

Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





57 comments :

Erin said...

Love it Sarah. It is the perfect height, and the way you personalized it is terrific!

Tina said...

Sarah, your bedside table makeover is FABULOUS! I love the colour and the handles are perfect! All of that sanding was definitely worth it!! Ooh, I love your lamp too:) Well done! Enjoy your new treasure, how wonderful that no-one else in the world has exactly the same bedside table as you:) Happy Weekend ~ Tina xx

Unknown said...

Love that type of handle, yours look antique which makes them even more interesting. Lush. ps I have a v similar White Co quilt, but paler, so cozy! xx

Olive said...

Mr. Modern Country has part of a drawer. You are so funny! I love the drawer pulls.

michelle said...

What an adorable table! You did an amazing job for your first furniture redo! The color is perfect, very calm and warm. I just love everything about your room Sarah, it is just perfect, warm and cozy! Do you have curtains or window coverings? I can imagine how pretty it must be to lay there at night and look at all the stars!

High Street Cottage said...

Sarah, I think you did a fantastic job. The handles are indeed very industrial. I have the same shape handles on my kitchen drawers only they're sort of a nickle finish. What I like is they're sturdy too. Your night stand almost reminds me of a coastal, nautical feel too, perhaps the shape. But most certainly cottage. I just love stopping by your blog to see what's new. A most enjoyable read. hugs tami from California USA

Tricia said...

That is a cute little table. I love the little cup pulls. It is a perfect addition to your already lovely bedroom :)

bj said...

Well, your little table turned out just full of charm...I love it all..especially the handles...

What is the name of the blog you spoke of as having a Pottery Barn knockoff party??
xo bj

Vanessa said...

Sarah! It just looks so gorgeous and that color is perfection! You did a great job making it totally custom and I seriously cannot wait to read the book review. It looks like something I might want to get my hands on too! I also wanted to say thanks for being such a sweet and encouraging blogging friend. I was telling my sister about you the other day and how fun it is to be making these connections with wonderful women from all over the globe! :-)
Blessings my friend,
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Look at you! I just have so much fun reading your take on things. You have a gift for words. I'm thinking along... what you're saying. The finish on your nightstand turned out fabulous! I'm a hardware girl and I love the pulls on this piece. I've been known to buy furniture just for the hardware:) Your bedroom is so serene. Thanks for sharing!
~Michelle

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your bedside table looks wonderful!! The handles are so neat. I always like a bedside table to have some storage to. It looks perfect next to your beautiful bed!

Leigha said...

Awesome refinish dear. The combination of that paint color with those handles is bliss. Gorgeous!

Leigha

Brenda Pruitt said...

I think you did a fantastic job! Did you say this was your first makeover? Hard to believe. I'm a klutz with a paint brush in my hand. I love the color and all the little spots to put things. And yes, Blogging For Bliss is on my bookshelf and well worth rereading.
Brenda

Greta said...

As I've said...I looooove your bedside table! And I had to smile when I saw "Blogging for Bliss" - that was on my nightstand for months -- I must have read through it five times. :o)

PS: Glad to know I'm not the only one with tons of hair binders/clips in their bedside drawer....

Kate said...

This is so great! I love those handles!

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*~*It turned out fabulous Sarah!! ;) Hugs,Rachel~*~*

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

Your table looks like it was made for that room. It fits perfectly. You did a professional job for this being your first furniture redo. I'd love for you to link this over at my 'Sweets This Week' Link Party

Susan Freeman said...

Hi Sarah! Brenda sent me over to welcome you!! You did a great job updating that darling bedside table. Your bedroom looks as cozy as it can be. Stop by for a visit sometime.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Unknown said...

You have done such an amazing job, especially for your first paint project! I love it! Your bedroom is so beautiful. XX!

Ruth Smith said...

I love the biological/geological sample drawer look!
You are right that there are no perfect bedside tables on the market. I fear that I am too lazy to make one over though, as my kitchen cupboard doors-in-waiting know well.

Unknown said...

OOOH. I love it. I really love the hardware. You have inspired me to do something similar on a dresser I can't get inspiration for! Thanks!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

It looks very good! I love the chunk hardware on the piece and the color is perfect. You did great! :)

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

The bedside table looks perfect! Great color!

Lori said...

Perfect size, shape and color. Great job. Love the hardware too.

Elisabeth said...

So what IS the color, because I love it too!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

LOVE this! Your attention to color and detail really show your creative talent. It turned out wonderfully well!

Ali @ Honey and Maple Syrup said...

I love the color and the hardware is great!

Samantha said...

I love the color! It looks really nice! Drawer pulls look awesome.

Envymycooking said...

Found your blog through links! Hey if you would ever like to be featured for either a project you have done or any recipes you have than please come one over to our site.Thanks for letting me visit

Kathy said...

This change is absolutely perfect! Just love what you've done! Love the drawer handles - adds the perfect touch,
Kathy

Kirsten said...

It looks beautiful!
Following from the hop!
Come check out my new blog, The Review Review, or my other blog, Dinner With Kir. I look forward to seeing you!

Grandma Bonnie said...

The color is just right.
New follower from the blog hop.
http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

Love it! Especially the handles! Looks beautiful in the room too.

http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/

Sweet Little Smoothie said...

Wonderful job you! That color is absolutely lovely and oh how I love the hardware! Your bedroom looks so cozy and snuggly and delightful :)

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Very cute, goes perfect in that little spot. Way to go on your first piece! It only gets easier :)

Karena said...

Absolutely adore it I love the color the style, everything!

Come and see my latest find...I would love to hear your coments!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Unknown said...

The hardware is perfect, great choice! Thanks for sharing with us over at Sister Sister!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Sarah, Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! I'll be featuring this today - stop by and grab a feature button if you like. Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Anonymous said...

I think it's gorgeous. It adds that perfect decorator's touch to the room. I love painted bedside tables -- they just really strike me as being unique and personal. You also chose the perfect color -- not too matchy/matchy, but the perfect blend. Thank you for sharing the transformation on the Boardwalk Bragfest. I have more inspiration now!

Cassie Bustamante said...

the color is so fun, and i love the pulls! it works perfectly with the color of the bedding- nice muted earthy tones. thanks for joining my party! :)

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

Once again, such a beautiful transformation! And that color -- heavenly and so soothing. Love it!

Sassy Sites! said...

Thanks for linking up with Sassy Sites for "Trash to Treasure Tuesday". :)

-Marni @ Sassy Sites!

René said...

You did a great job on the bedside table. Still loving this room.

Thanks for mentioning the book. Have often seen it and wondered.

-Rene

Laurie at Turner Farm said...

That looks great! Love the handles.
And I've been stalking that bedding!
Been waiting for it to go on sale, after seeing it on your bed, I may just have to go get it! Glorious!

Shaunna said...

It looks great, Sarah! I LOVE the bin pulls on it and the color is beautiful. Thanks for linking up to STyle Feature Saturday! -shaunna :)

Anonymous said...

WHEN WE STAYED IN YOUR ROOM I EYED UP THE BEDSIDE AND THOUGHT THE COLOUR AND HANDLES WERE SOOO PLEASING!

GOOD JOB SIS,

NATTY

memakingdo said...

I love your redo you did a great job and I love the color!!!! Thanks for linking up to A Crafty Creative Christmas Link up!
Heather

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Such a beautiful color. And a great size next to your bed. You did a great job!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous, Sarah! You did a beautiful job for your first furniture refinish. Love the color. Happy to see you at the DIY Club! Good luck!

Hugs,
Jami

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

That was your FIRST furniture makeover? Girl, you're a natural. I love the hardware you chose...

Roeshel said...

Beautiful job. I love the color. I love the knobs. It's gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity! ;)

Roeshel

JS said...

I request a case study on Churlish Green!

Home Stars said...

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.
Table With Bench And Chairs
Formal Dining Room Sets

Mattress Discount said...

Thanks for sharing useful and furniture related information.
bedside table

Lisa Kelly said...

I am reading this blog daily basis and it provides more useful information thanks for sharing Bedside Table information.

My Style furniture said...

Nice blog for more like this visit Fitted Bedrooms Manchester

Harrow Decor said...

Thank you for sharing such a nice blog. It's really impressive. I appreciate your intelligence and knowledge. This blog is really beneficial for many of us.
mosaic table

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10